Cultivated Reef

Circulation, Lighting, and other nebie questions

cruizer

Hello all!

Long time freshwater guy, new saltwater guy.

I am boulding a 10g Nano for my g/f for her birthday (yeah, Nemo).

Anyways, seems that the Aquaclear 200 is the perferred filtration choice for this size tank. But I wanna know is how much circulation does one need in this type of a tank?

Basically this tank is going to house 2 clown fish, an anenome, and a few corals that I plan on putting in at some time, as well as a cleaner crew of some sort.

How much circulation am I going to need?

Any ideas on an ideal light setup that'll need?

Thanks, I'll come back and bother you with more questions later on :D

i can tell you right now that your cruisin into dangerous territory with an anemone. how much do you know about them? and with you being a first timer into marine aquaria i would not suggest an anemone. to delicate of an animal for a beginner. as far as your circulation goes light to moderate circulation will be fine. and with a ten gallon you can purchase the zoo med 214 wave maker. very good for current. you don't need an anemone to keep your clown happy. they will host with many other things. i wouldn't keep any corals in there either without the proper lighting first. i would recommend a lighting range of 27w with a k rating of 6500-10000.

Well, this is why I am in the beginners section, I know very little about that stuff. I will definately have to rethink the anenome. I've seen some members 10g tanks with them in it, so I assumed it was OK. Thanks for the info.

you could do them but it's like recommending discus as a first fish to someone starting out in FW. prepare the tank and conditions just right and you're probably pretty good to go but a typical aquarium starter kit just wouldn't cut it for the discus. welcome to the reef!

orbit is the name of their lighting fixture, current usa is the company that took over business for customsealife. i believe it is comprised of ex-employees of csl. i believe the "orbit" model is the same as the csl daylight/moonlight fixture, just with a new name. they are very good lighting fixtures, plus they come with the moonlights. very clean looking. i would go with the orbit as opposed to the 96w quad because you will have independant controls over the daylight(10,000k) bulb and the actinic bulb, allowing you to do the whole dusk/dawn thing. very cool... but it's totally up to you...

I just got the coral life 96 watt quad retro and custom fitted it into my eclipse 12. I disagree with silversurf, I think the custom sealife stuff seems like it is made cheap. My corallife came with a switch and a water resistant end cap. If you are talking about the cool black fixture that has fans on the end and moon/day PC's it looks very cool. I couldnt go with the moon fix because my tank bows in the frount and I didnt want to loose my hood. I have a bubble tip in my 12 gallon and it is pretty hard to keep it happy. I would also say to rethink the clowns, I have a pair of marrons myself. I originally set up my tank specifically to keep clowns and an anemone, but I kid myself about being able to keep other things in such a small tank. Granted marrons are know to be meaner than other clown species, and pairs esspecially with a host will be more tempermental, but I have had to give up on most anything else. They irritate my snails, chase my inverts(my favorite by the way) into the rocks never to be seen, I like the anemone but I can only keep one the clowns will kill any other hosts, and other fish forget it they eliminated my fire fish and a neon goby. They even bite me when I clen the tank. I doubt they will sussefully breed in a set up like that so if you are set on clowns I would suggest only one and a small one. If you dont have to host condys are indestructable, you can keep more than one, if you look long enough you can find different variations, they are cheap, they dont grow as fast as most hosts, and they are good eaters.

shanna you really need to read up more on condylactus anemones. though they have been known to be hardy they are still anemones and still require special care. they also require prestine water conditions. though your condy looks healthy doesn't mean it is. and it is very irresponsible of you to give anyone ideas on keeping an anemone to any one who is new to salt water. i'm not trying to berate you in any way but i think if your going to give anyone who is new to salt water any info you need to give them info on the easier to keep fish and inverts ect.

So I've decided to go with the AC300 filter, which will double as a fuge. It will also have the surface skimmer attachment.

How much more water movement is recommended?

If you are going to use the AC300 as a 'fuge, using a AC150 impeller, to slow flow rates down is a popular modification. Many posts on it on tis site.

the amount of circulation is really up to you. you will get some smooth currents from the ac300, but it won't be much. personally, i like to have a lot of random turbulence in my tank. in my eclipse12, i have an ac200 along with two powerheads. this makes for some good random currents. if you think about where these animals are coming from, their environment is never still or smooth. you don't necessarily need two powerheads as i have done, but i would recommend at least one along with your ac300.

Archived