Top Shelf Aquatics

Additives and lighting question.

shrimpo

Is there any special additives or lighting that macro algae tank needs beside the nutrients resulting from feeding and the tank lighting that is suitable for corals?

'Need'? No. Will benefit from? Yes. Iron, iodine and magnesium. If you want to grow the calciferous types of macros, then calcium as well. Feel free to add.

With regards to both chemicals and lighting, you have to understand, there are many types of macro algae that have evolved to take advantage of certain 'niches' in the environment, so there isn't one set solution for ALL types of macro algae. Some types will suffer and diminish while others will thrive in the exact same environment.

Most of us just experiment with different types of macros and see how they do in our tanks.

'Need'? No. Will benefit from? Yes. Iron, iodine and magnesium. If you want to grow the calciferous types of macros, then calcium as well. Feel free to add.

Thanks for the explanation, I 'll get some macro for my tank and see how it goes.

Yeah like it's been mentioned already, some algae does great and others won't do as well. I could never get codium, which a lot of people find decently easy, to last for longer than a month or two, but some of the more "difficult" macros grew very well.

Yeah like it's been mentioned already, some algae does great and others won't do as well. I could never get codium, which a lot of people find decently easy, to last for longer than a month or two, but some of the more "difficult" macros grew very well.

Do you use RODI water for your salt mix? what lighting do you have?

The reason I am asking is I just ordered Codium and I am afraid to have the same results as yours.

Do you use RODI water for your salt mix? what lighting do you have?

The reason I am asking is I just ordered Codium and I am afraid to have the same results as yours.

I used RO-DI water. I may have used too much light. 8x54watt T5 over a 24" deep 100gal tank. It was either that or not quite enough nutrients. I fed rather sparsely and had a nutrient-low LPS/Macro system. Probably the same reason why Caulerpa never lasted too long in my tank while slower growing reds did fine. When I set it up again I'll use treated tap-water for top-off and salt water and have some messy fish in there.

I used RO-DI water. I may have used too much light. 8x54watt T5 over a 24" deep 100gal tank. It was either that or not quite enough nutrients. I fed rather sparsely and had a nutrient-low LPS/Macro system. Probably the same reason why Caulerpa never lasted too long in my tank while slower growing reds did fine. When I set it up again I'll use treated tap-water for top-off and salt water and have some messy fish in there.

I agree with using tap treated water for macro tanks. It hasa lot of trace elements that are beneficial, and the xcess nutrients arent a big deal in a macro tank. codium does very well in low-moderate light, never really tried it in high light though. Don't worry shrimpo, the codium and titan are possibly the two easiest that I have available, neither are calciferous. a messy eater is always a cool addition and aids in releasing nutrients, so I'd agree withthat as well.

Archived