Pod Your Reef

live rock liveable conditions?

vancouver_newb

vancouver_newb

Hey everyone,

I've just realized that my PH is low @ 7.6, and my live rock is arriving in the next day or two. I've just added Kent dkh buffer to my water though I don't think the PH will stablize in time for the arrival of LR.

My question is, will the LR be fine in water w/ a PH of 7.6 or are they just as finicky as fish and corals when it comes to water chemistry? It'll only be temporary as I'll be slowly bumping up the levels with the buffer, but I'm just a little concerned with whether the LR will be very "live" under these temporary conditions.

Thanks,

vancouver_newb

vancouver_newb

Yes, I'm going to be cycling with the LR. So you're saying I shouldn't even be concerned w/ the PH or DKH for the time being until my cycle has completed? The S.G. would have to be at the correct level though am I correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't ignoring the water chemistry for the time being lead to more die off from the LR, and possibly lead to a dead rock w/ nothing living on it?

Thanks,

vancouver_newb

As long as you have a good synthetic sea salt, it should have all the buffers you need to set the pH, Alk, and Ca levels to acceptable levels for live rock.

IMO

Dale

dale is correct. what type of salt are you using if you don't mind me asking. i prefer io only because it contains all the buffers needed and none of the bad chemicals. your rock is dead anyway. the only reason it's called live rock is because of all the organisms living in or on it. don't worry about the die off's they will come back.

vancouver_newb

Man, I wish I had posted this thread and waited BEFORE adding the Kent DKH buffer. It's been about 8 hrs. since I've added it, and I've noticed now that my water is all milky/cloudy :( I don't "think" I added too much buffer as I followed the directions on the container quite carefully. Is it normal for buffers to cloud up the water? I'm hoping it'll go away in 12 hrs.

Hm, so did this newb mess up BIG? I shouldn't have added the buffer, but I guess it's a little too late now, and the LR is arriving either today or tomorrow. Should I dump the LR in today, and let it be or should I wait until tomorrow to see if the water has cleared up? Or will the cloudy water due to the buffer have absolutely no effect on the LR I'm getting?

BTW, I'm using Instant Ocean salt.

Thanks,

vancouver_newb

vancouver I dont think that the cloudy water is going to hurt your LR. A lot of people have over dosed buffers with no ill affects but you could make all new SW and replace it if it really bothers you.

Archived