SaltCritters.com

Lighting for Chaeto

Euphyllia

I'm looking in to getting a fuge light for my BioCube 29 HQI to grow chaeto in the built-in fuge area. I don't want to pay $50 for the special light that fits on there, so what are my cheapest options?

TIA

I forget which topic but some people were saying that this light was pretty good.

Click here!

It's the 10 watt light and it's submersible. I haven't used it but would consider it if I got a refugium.

Hope This Helps- Wizzy :happy:

I used a spiral CFL 6500K bulb you can buy anywhere. I made a DIY fixture for it like the one in the Biocube resource thread. Very little light leakage and it grew chaeto really well.

I just use a desk lamp and a 6,500K standard house bulb. Grows chaeto like crazy.

Didn't think of that. I'll see what I can do about getting that set up.

Should I run the desk lamp when my halide is on?

I used 3W led spot light from eBay. Cost around $5. I have a softball sized clump growing like mad. I have to trim by half every two weeks. My nano has no skimmer. Only method of nutrient export is Chaeto. My nano is a mixed reef including SPS.

I used a 5000K 65W PC spotlight I bought from Lowes. It works great, I have to cut off about 20% of it every couple weeks. I had used a 6500K but my Chaeto never semed to grow with it. I think it cost me 9 dollars or so plus the light socket cord I got from Walmart for like $4. It's hung about 2 inches from the top of my aquafuge2.

hmm.. i also just started trying to grow chaeto using a 1x3w led cool white bulb ~65k. it's been more than a week and i haven't noticed any growth running the light on reverse light cycle for 12hr at night.

do you guys run the lights 24hrs?

maybe I should try a warmer color temperature light...

kriskristofferzen

i use a white stunner stip, works ok, less energy though, i do a reverse lighting schedule, good luck finding something, there are lots of good ideas on this thread. the clamp light from lowes is a good one.

hmm.. i also just started trying to grow chaeto using a 1x3w led cool white bulb ~65k. it's been more than a week and i haven't noticed any growth running the light on reverse light cycle for 12hr at night.

I bought from this seller on ebay. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4W-GU10-High-Po...V-/180663575667

Its warm white and my chaeto is doing great. I soldered an old power cord and it runs cool to the touch.

28g nano noob

+1 on the nano glow thats wat i have i had my fuge tray sitting in still water for over a week then wen i set my tank up the stuffs growing all redy into the top tray but i seen a 20$ build on here some where with a electric box and a homedepot light and i run mine 24/7 i tested ph and it dosent really affect it in the light cycle thing

Might wait a little bit before switching lights out. Running 24 hours is honestly going to slow growth down because plants need to respirate to grow normally. Folks run caulerpa under 24hr light to prevent it going sexual, but it grows slower.

Chaeto is a pretty undemanding macro. Perhaps it is growing slowly because of lack of nutrients. It needs phosphates AND nitrates at the same time to grow. A lack of one will prevent it from growing quickly no matter how much of the other there is.

What are your nutrients at?

i know my nitrates are pretty close to zero, i don't have a phosphate kit... i have purigen/carbon/gfo... so phosphate probably close to zero since there is only one small six line wrasse in my 4gal tank that i feed every other day.

so maybe it's a good thing the chaeto isn't growing telling me there may not be excess nutrients. time to add a few more fish and maybe a baby sea turtle to create more nutrients! jk! =)

imchee, tha is pretty close to what i use on the chaeto. mine's the 1x3w E27 socket version. I do use 4x1w version of those GU10 bulbs for the tank and they work great!

28g nano noob
i know my nitrates are pretty close to zero, i don't have a phosphate kit... i have purigen/carbon/gfo... so phosphate probably close to zero since there is only one small six line wrasse in my 4gal tank that i feed every other day.

so maybe it's a good thing the chaeto isn't growing telling me there may not be excess nutrients. time to add a few more fish and maybe a baby sea turtle to create more nutrients! jk! =)

imchee, tha is pretty close to what i use on the chaeto. mine's the 1x3w E27 socket version. I do use 4x1w version of those GU10 bulbs for the tank and they work great!

and think if it inst growing much then u wont have to proon i t

• 2 months later...
I used 3W led spot light from eBay. Cost around $5. I have a softball sized clump growing like mad. I have to trim by half every two weeks. My nano has no skimmer. Only method of nutrient export is Chaeto. My nano is a mixed reef including SPS.

Can you tell me which one and what fixture you use? Thanks!

Archived