Pod Your Reef

lighting upgrade opinion

imsuperjp

I currently have a 2 x 55 watt PC hood and was thinking if it is worth upgrading to a 2 x 65 watts which would cost me $160. The new lighthing system can also be DIY wit MH later on in the future, but i was just wandering if it worth the money to upgrade.

Somebody correct me if I speak falsely, but 55 and 65 watt bulbs are pretty much the same thing. It's the ballast that makes the difference.

Save up a few bucks, and replace the ballast in your light with a workhorse 5.

-q

You could probly get away with just throwing the 65 watt bulbs on your existing ballast.

Check if your ballast states the max watt output. Workhorse 5's have a max output of like 128 and will run 2x55's just as well as they'd run 2x65's.

Whats the deal with 65 watt bulbs anyways?

OK. Let me reword it then. THe lighting im lookin at is the model that alot of ppl have mod on this site. So basically i ll be payin around 300 something to upgrade to 2 x 65 W with a 70W MH in it. Would that be worth the upgrade?

55w and 65w are the same...it's all in the ballast...so, i've been told

Originally posted by imsuperjp

....  So basically i ll be payin around 300 something to upgrade to 2 x 65 W with a 70W MH in it.  Would that be worth the upgrade?

...the 300 your talking about ($285) is for 2 70w MH....figure half of that if your doing a single:P

Reefer_Buddha

clams mostly. Some sps's. The nice thing about going the route that krackerG and i went is that we dont have to worry about what we put in our tanks. My 20L is so shallow that i can have pretty much whatever i want in it. Since yours is a 25 gallon id do the 2 70w halides and youd never have to upgrade your lighting again.

i wish it was no worries. college student + girlfriend = little money for lights. reallie tempted to put the lights on my credit card, but dont know if it worth it yet. i'm having a hard time finding the aramot ballast on ebay. do you know anything abt the advance ballast?

Originally posted by Reefer_Buddha

clams mostly. Some sps's. The nice thing about going the route that krackerG and i went is that we dont have to worry about what we put in our tanks. My 20L is so shallow that i can have pretty much whatever i want in it. Since yours is a 25 gallon id do the 2 70w halides and youd never have to upgrade your lighting again.

I've got my 2 70w fixtures over my 36" long tank now. VERY bright. There's just a little bit of dimness at the edges with the two lights 6" off the center line of the tank. (12" between lights)

Mike

Archived