inTank Media Baskets

Percula question. Is mine acting wierd?

floppyfish

Hi all, I just got my little true percula yesterday. He can't seem to settle down. He swims from side to side, top to bottom. I was watching him in the LFS and he didn't seem so active. Is this normal? I just did a 5-6g water change on my 20g that morning. To clear any waste out. but I tested before the water change and I had:

Amonia-0

nitrite-0

nitrate<10 I think zero(am using Fast Test and the <10 is light pink, but my test water was just barely tinted pink)

Is this normal for a clown in a new tank? He eats but not much at all. Especially for all the swimming he is doing. Anyway I thought I'd ask just in case.

Please reply, he's such a cool little guy. I'd rather bring him back than kill him in my tank. IF thats the problem.

Thanks Matt

He's probably got a much funner home in your tank than he did in the LFS! I've had my percs for 1.5 mo now. Originally I had them in a 7g and they were really inactive, now they're in the 20L and they swim like mad. I would say it's normal. See my pics in the members nano part of the forum. They are sooo fast that the one of them was the best I could get.

HTH,

Matt

Cool, I hope your right. Cause this little guy doesn't stop for nothing! He blazes against the current, get through and almost smacks the glass, and as soon as he's to that side he zips right back to the other side.

I'm sure my tank is a little nicer for him. They had about 20 of the little guys in a tank with some Yellowtail Damsels. Now he just has 1 other Yellowtail and a whole tank basically to himself. The Yellowtail isn't too active. Pretty shy actually, but he's opening up.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the more a fish swims around the better ^__^

as long as its swiming around and eating. colors good(it dose get

brighter orange and the black out line fades and comes back)

soon it will be swiming up to you and begging for food

enjoy it *__^

good luck

he's probably just settling in. your parameters are all fine for him.

it's better that he's active than just lying on his side gasping, right? :P

Originally posted by tinyreef

he's probably just settling in.  your parameters are all fine for him.

it's better that he's active than just lying on his side gasping, right? :P

Yes, I suppose it is! I'm just worried. Someone at RAG posted this though, what do you think?

I be a little worried too. I bought a 1.5" perc about a month ago. When I brought him home he did the same thing as yours. He died about 2wks later  He had some buddies (fish) at the LFS but he was in a small 10gal no anenome at all. Don't know what happened to him but my hermits had em' for lunch. I tried getting the perc away from them but they dragged it under my live rock in a cave and munched away couldn't stop em'. Probably will never buy another one again...if I do it will be a bigger one and not so juvenile.

i'm still with mattdog on this. unless it's exhibiting really weird behavior like floating tail up (w/ no movement-gas bubble) or swimming listlessly or not at all i wouldn't be worried.

hey, i've lost clownfish but only to accidents (read stupidity). they're hardy little suckers. if he's banging against the wall he's probably ####ed. like dawn mentioned, he's eating a little and swimming strongly. i wouldn't stress him with other inhabitants or structures until he gets used his new home.

he may not have been active in the lfs because he was a he. the girls probably bullied him around (i'm serious). he's the main man now! :D

[if he's banging against the wall he's probably ####ed. /B]

He's not really hitting the glass, after those burst of speed but comes close! He does kinda rub, or swim along the side of the glass, though. But not like he's scraping his body against it.

Thanks though, you all have made me feel allot better about this situation.

I'd hate to hurt the little guy, he's so cool! Especialy since the Yellowtail damsel is so shy. But he was the runt of the tank so I figured he'd be nice to all the other inhabbitants of my tank.Bambino (the little guy) comes out and swims with Homer(the perc). Seems they get along. So I hope anyway.

But thanks aqain, Matt:D

you've got a yellow-tailed monster, i mean damsel? ??? :P

Yeah, but I read that of all damsels they're the least aggresive. This one seems to be, but I think that has to do with him being the runt in his display tank, maybe? He is very shy, he has been opening up lately and coming out of his caves to say hi. But I don't think he'll be too much of a problem. Cross my fingers;)

I also have just bought a true prec and he exibits a lot of same behaivors. Only he never leaves the glass he is almost always in contact or real close to the glass. I was getting worried that he may be diseased but it looks like he is just a normal clown:D

Archived