Innovative Marine Aquariums

NANO ?

rexxx

its the prefix that means 9 decimal places to the left.  sorta.

1 NANOmeter = 0.000000001  meters

just like CENTImeter or KILOmeter

Its used to describe the size of our tanks.  It's an exaggeration of  how small they are.

Yeah the word nano just got coined with the word reef to relate to reef tanks that are smaller than the traditional sized reef tanks, and especially the tanks 10G and smaller.

"nano" is defined to be either 1x10^-9, or refer to something extremely small.

Humerously, it's derived from the Greek word for little old men (nannos).

NANO means extremely small...

but its a term that chris have thought about to make the community more catchy :)

so i guess we all went by it too...

but aquarium in our home regardless its size from 1/4 gallon to 1 billion gallon can be called nano,mini, micro,pico,ittybittysmall, shotglass tanks. or whatever you want to call it...

like i said...its just a term we use here in the website ;)

IMO, nano means smaller than 20 gallons according to aquarium terminology, and micro means smaller than 5 gallons. Many people see 30 gallons as a nano though, so its up to the individual.

Well, all of our tanks are nano's or pico's or whatever compared to the size natural environment, so I guess calling one size tank a nano and another pico is just arbitary.

Just my thoughts. :)

You see all the time larger (50+ gallon) tanks referred to as mini reefs.  I think between a mini and a nano it would be appropriate to have a micro reef...

Guest AbSoluTc

Dont make this so difficult...  Here it is as plain as can be..

Super Nano - 30-20

Nano - 10-5

Mini Nano - <5

Micro Nano - < gallon

A reef can not be "named" by using the ocean as a starting point.  Naming starts with Larger reef systems. Like 1000g, 500g and so on.  The stopping point for large reefs is 125 gallons.  After that you get MIDSIZE on down to 45 gallons.  Below that, the nanos come into play.  They are called nanos because they are SMALLER than their larger counterparts.  Back in the days, to even CONSIDER putting a reef in a 5 gallon tank, would have shuned and considered ludacris.  Now adays, there is really no limit.  A shot glass IMO is just dumb.  Lamps, tables and things like that, there ok for a first time shocker, but as a daily tank - no.

Anyone ever been to the nature store? They have these spheres the size of a baseball.  They are sealed glass.  No holes, openings or anything.  They have about 1 cup of water in them.  They are the smallest biotopes I have seen.  They have shrimp, buggies and other living creatures inside.  Rocks, plants, everything.  They are guaranteed for 5 years.  If they die, they will be replaced.

Anyways, that is the smallest "biotope" I have seen.  1 cup of water.  Amazing.

I saw those biotope things when I was in the US in 2000.

I was going to buy one from a Science museum in NY but didnt think it would last the plane journey to the UK.

Ummm....I didn't mean that I wanted to literally keep a shot glass with something in it. I meant that my 20g should be called a shot glass tank.

Sorry for the confusion!

• 7 months later...
Originally posted by AbSoluTc

Dont make this so difficult...  Here it is as plain as can be..

Super Nano - 30-20  

Nano - 10-5  

Mini Nano - <5  

Micro Nano - < gallon

wouldn't 30-20 be not so nano? or maybe nanoish? or maybe?

Nanu-Nanu?....God that was awful somebody end it for me x) :x

mork.jpg

Oddly enough, all of these prefixes people are throwing around mean something, and although they are not absolute when refering to tank size they must retain their relative nature, to wit:

milli = one thousandth (1 X 10^-3)

micro = one millionth (1 X 10^-6)

nano = one billionth (1 X 10^-9)

pico = one trillionth (1 X 10^-12)

Thus a very small tank ( < 2G, usually < 1G), is usually referred to as a pico-reef. All tanks are usually referred to as mini-reefs because, compared to the real thing...they are small.

OMG Crakeur you crack me up!!!

Originally posted by Crakeur

y'all need another hobby.  this one clearly doesn't take up enough time.  

love,

nano-dick

Archived