Top Shelf Aquatics

Translucent slug-like carnivore?

sailforfun15

sailforfun15

I have about 5 of these in my tank now. The smallest is about 1/8 inch and the longest about 5/8. There may also be one that is almost 3/4 inch, but I'm not sure it is the same type. The crawl around on the rocks, sand and glass and when they touch a small bug they raise the oval mouth up and over the bug, then suck it in. Its pretty cool to watch. Anyone know what these are and whether they are nano-reef save?

Todd

I also noticed one when I had a 5ga. a while back. It only seemed to be one and it never really looked to be bothering anything but my pod population. I left it in there b/c I thought it was a neat creature. Flatworms are actually a sign of a healthy tank. As long as it hasn't gotten out of control, I wouldn't even bother with it.

If it bothers you though, look into "Flatworm Exit" or go buy a wrasse.

-Justin

I had something that looked VERY similar to that. It didn't seem to really bother anything. I saw it off and on for about a week or two, then one day I saw 5 or 6 of them and then the next day they were all gone never to be seen again (maybe). It's been a few weeks since I've seen one but you never know if they'll pop up again.

My philosophy has always been; leave it alone until something bad happens. I know I'm asking for trouble, but I'm not missing out on something cool either.

sailforfun15

Since I added my clean-up crew two weeks ago, I've not seen these on the glass anymore, but have spied one or two on the rocks. Since they don't seem to be taking over the tank and my corals are all intact, I've decided not to worry about them.

Todd

Archived