inTank Media Baskets

Tuxedo Urchin

crazyfishgirl

This is an awesome thread! I've always wanted an urchin. I'm currently putting together a Fluval Edge tank with just Inverts. No corals, just LR, LS, crabs, shrimp, snails, etc. The tank is only 6 gallons. What are the chances of being able to put an urchin in a tank that small? I am diligent with water changes and take very good care of the tank. Think it would be OK?

• 1 year later...
crazyfishgirl

Wow, I was just thinking about this thread a few days ago. Here's a new picture of mine, still going strong after 2 years. I don't have any algae in my tank but he eats nori and any coraline that shows up

post-66534-0-86116600-1373975828_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

I have a tuxedo who is currently carrying a small rock, a snail shell, a piece of my star polyp, and a large featherduster. I tried to post a pic but its too large. This guy is about the size of a golf ball. Crazy funny.

love finding a good resurfaced thread. im wondering if any urchin keepers can also keep macro, or does it just become urchin food?

I have some red ochtodes that he has left alone, but another red macro has disappeared since adding him. I don't have a macro display, those were just a few HH. I would assume he eats most other macros.

Does one urchin attack/detach your corals to use them to cloak himself or does he leave the corals alone? That's my biggest concern right now ... I don't want to buy a tuxedo and in the end he's detaching all my zoo's for his decoration :D

love finding a good resurfaced thread. im wondering if any urchin keepers can also keep macro, or does it just become urchin food?

Eats most of them.

Does one urchin attack/detach your corals to use them to cloak himself or does he leave the corals alone? That's my biggest concern right now ... I don't want to buy a tuxedo and in the end he's detaching all my zoo's for his decoration :D

Only picks up what isn't glued down. Sometimes finds lost frags behind rocks even.

Steensj2004

My Dragons Breath Macro Algae gets munched occasionally... I supplement feed him daily, so he stays away for mine for the most part

I have some red ochtodes that he has left alone, but another red macro has disappeared since adding him. I don't have a macro display, those were just a few HH. I would assume he eats most other macros.

Eats most of them. Only picks up what isn't glued down. Sometimes finds lost frags behind rocks even.

Thanks yall. I thought so. i want some nice display macro, but i cant get rid of my urchin(s) (not sure what a plural unchin is), they really take care of my GHA. maybe once i build my algae scrubber, i can keep the gha at bay... but i assume itll also hinder my display marcos so...

the urchin stay

I don't have proof, but I think they are capable of pulling mushrooms and softies off rocks. I only say this because mine picked up a digital thermometer probe once and I was trying to get it off the urchin and it was taking quite a bit of force to get it to let go. I gave up since I didn't want to injure it, but it let go soon after. Mine is carrying around a piece of xenia and a red mushroom that I didn't think were detached previously. If he does it will only be few and far between.

I'll be getting a tuxedo later this week. Can someone detail their acclimation process for me? Thanks!

nawilson89

My Dragons Breath Macro Algae gets munched occasionally... I supplement feed him daily, so he stays away for mine for the most part

Oh no. I just added a small Dragons Breath on Saturday....

I'll be getting a tuxedo later this week. Can someone detail their acclimation process for me? Thanks!

Just temp and drip acclimate as you would any fish or motile invert. I float mine and add 10-20 ml of tank water every ten minutes for no more than an hour.

Archived