Coral Vue Hydros

Frag Plugs

LittleFishy

LittleFishy

So I know there is no set in stone answer to this question so what works best for you? I am looking at fragging my corals and I don't know which type of frag plug to use. I have mostly soft corals and zoas but I will eventually be getting into lps and sps so I would like to know for those as well.

Do the textured ones work better for some corals rather than the smooth plugs? Ceramic, cement, plastic, etc? Plug with nipple vs. one without? What works best for you?

matt_longview

I really like the plugs that have the top out the bottom also. You can always take some bone cutters and take that tip off the bottom, but I like drilling my rocks and leaving plenty of holes to put those plugs in.

Thrassian Atoll

I just bought some of these. I really like them. They are pretty small too. You could always get the bigger ones. I heard some plugs need to be soaked for a while though and these do not becuase they are ceramic? I just started fragging so I am not too sure.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/produc...ns-wonders.html

I just bought some of these. I really like them. They are pretty small too. You could always get the bigger ones. I heard some plugs need to be soaked for a while though and these do not becuase they are ceramic? I just started fragging so I am not too sure.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/produc...ns-wonders.html

I've been using little 1 1/4 inch acrylic squared with a little tab glued on to grab them by. They work pretty well. :)

Andy since they are clear, they blend in with the scape well. :)

i use rock it gives it a more natural look when you glue it to your rocks plus you can buy a pretty good sized base rock for cheap and just smash it up and you got a bunch of plugs

I absolutely hate frag plugs. I like the idea of using clear acrylic, you could scuff it up with sandpaper to increase adhesion. The best IMO is rock rubble.

LittleFishy

I knew somebody had to have an opinion about this. :) thanks for the advice. I guess this is just one of those things that you have to try a little bit of everything and see what you like best. I don't like the look of frag plugs but they seem to be so much easier than dealing with rock rubble. Oh well. Thanks!

jeff@zina.com

Pretty much, all frag plugs suck. But they're the best thing out there. :)

I'm using tile plugs for a lot of stuff, but with no "pegs" they tend to move in the current or at the whim of the occupants. I stll have a lot of BRS plugs, but when they're gone I may look at something else.

Jeff

jeff@zina.com

It's really only ORA Picassos that get a grade. Grade A has at least two bars connecting on both sides. Grade B has at lest two bars connecting on one side. Grade C has no bars connecting, they look like misbars used to. If it's not a Picasso-related, it isn't graded.

Jeff

Archived