Pod Your Reef

29-gallon new setup

jkstiles

I have settled on setting up a 29-gallon aquarium with compact flourescent lighting (two 65-w bulbs, one 10000K pure white and the other actinic). I will use a BakPak2R skimmer with a prefilter. I'm wondering about two things:

1. If I wanted to upgrade the lighting, does anybody know any manufacturer of lighting that does a complete hood for two 96-w bulbs on a 30 inch long 29-gallon tank? I'd like the additional wattage for better lighting for any corals that I place in the tank.

2. I'm assuming I should add two powerheads to add water flow to the tank which will be stocked with live rock, live sand and a variety of corals. For a 29-gallon, what power heads would the group suggest? I don't want to blow the livestock away but do want good water circulation through the rock, etc.

Thanks for your help,

Keith

What I did was go to members tanks and look at all the 29 gallon tanks to see what has been used for powerheads. I am planning on going with to minijet 606. But take a look at other tanks that are successful in your size. I also have the same lighting as you do with the 2x65 (Coralife Aqualight) but I dont know about the upgrade you want. I am considering going with a 20 Long instead of the 29 though to hopefully get more out of my lighting.

Thanks Dawn. That's the kind of info a newbie needs to hear. I would just like to have enough light intensity for maybe one clam so that was why I asked.

Archived