Top Shelf Aquatics

Poly-Filter

Nolesx4

This is a little background and outcome from my trial with 'The Incomparable Poly-Filter' pads from Poly-Bio-Marine Inc.

My BC14 has been running for about 7 weeks now. I have the standard ChemPure Elite and Purigen combo in the rear chambers. I have been using Marineland bonded filter pads as the main mechanical filter in the tank. I have been noticing that the water has never been the crystal clear that it was after I started to add livestock. It has a bluish hazy look with the particulates floating in the water.

So I decided to add the Poly-Filter pad I had purchased months ago with intentions of using on the BC14. I cut the pad to size and fit it into where the sponge goes in chamber #3. I came home to find the pump pushing out bubbles. The filter had removed so much stuff, the water level in #3 had slowed and was too low. But I had noticed a great improvement already in the water clarity.

I pulled the pad and rinsed out all the gunk and re-thought where to install it. I cut it to fit 1/2 of my DIY drip plate, and backed it up with the Marineland pad. So when the Poly-Filter gets clogged, the water continues onto the bonded pad. And if that plugs, continues to the bypass area.

Today I got home and have to say WOW! The water is crystal clear and everything looks great. My GSP that has been retracted for days is out in full glory, and the other corals look like they are extending more.

I'm going to redesign my DIY mechanical filter to allow better water flow thru both pads. I'll keep you informed of my progress.

• 4 months later...

I work in a LFS and ive used it on the biocube displays we have and i havnt been too pleased with the product. Although it claims to remove a lot of stuff outa your water, i noticed it only works like a filter floss then eventually gets clogged up and has to be replaced. Not rele worth the money IMO ill stick to floss

• 2 weeks later...

Love Poly Filter. Been using it forever. I tend to install it after pretty fine mechanical filtration and it tends to darken before the mechanical does so it's absorbing quite a bit.

Archived