Cultivated Reef

How to keep a good algae garden?

everglow

When I start my nano reef since I am a big snail and crab fan I am going to have at lease 5 I would think how do you start off a reef with enough algae to sustain this main creatures? Even in a smaller aquarium.

Algae and reef is something that don't mix well.

If you want a algae bloom and want to keep that way, it's kind of easy. Along with a few poo poo fish, less water change, less current, using tap water, no skimmer, no refugium, overfeeding, canister filter with media, bio-ball, bio-wheel and.. Oh... less than 5500K light.... will ensure plenty of algae in your tank. Adding some plantgrow fertilizer is a good idea too. Then your main creatures (snails and hermits) will get tons of food.

But... are you really sure this is what you want?

Originally posted by SeaSide

Algae and reef is something that don't mix well.  

If you want a algae bloom and want to keep that way, it's kind of easy. Along with a few poo poo fish, less water change, less current, using tap water, no skimmer, no refugium, overfeeding, canister filter with media, bio-ball, bio-wheel and.. Oh... less than 5500K light.... will ensure plenty of algae in your tank. Adding some plantgrow fertilizer is a good idea too. Then your main creatures (snails and hermits) will get tons of food.  

But... are you really sure this is what you want?

Well I went to see a few Aquariums and they had a ton of crabs but I didn't see a ton of algae on the reef how are they doing it? I

It depends on the type of algae in your tank as to whether it's good or bad. No reef tank is algae free unless it's completely sterile.

If your reef tank has an adequate amount of live rock in it, your crabs (and snails) will graze it and keep the algae in control. Growing algae for your crabs usually isn't a problem, because algae + light + nitrates = growing algae. The crabs will help keep it pruned up.

Problem algaes, such as diatom, unicellular green and cyanobacteria can also be eaten by snails and crabs. Snails prefer to graze on micro algaes, so if you get green, brown or red slime algaes growing in your tank, add a few different species of marine snails (ceriths, nerites, astreas, etc.) to the tank at a 1:1 ratio of snails per gallon and they'll graze these algaes under control.

Crabs are omnivores, and will feed on bits of stray food items as well. I feed mine a few sinking pellet foods designed for freshwater corydoras catfish twice a week to make sure they're eating well. Feed them very sparingly to keep them in a state of hunger so they'll continue to comb your tank for food and algae, but just enough to keep them from starving. Feeding sparingly also helps you keep nitrates under control.

Archived