Top Shelf Aquatics

tangs for all

craigofva

jeff@zina.com
Any one breed tangs?

Not in a Nano tank. :)

Tangs are tough, they're pelagic spawners and need a ton of vertical space. It's been done, but nobody I know of is doing them commercially. Yet.

Jeff

i think i read some where about them being in planktonic form for too long that filters in out tanks would suck them up before they had a changes

no need, really - they generally ship well, are relatively easy to catch in the wild, and populations of most species are high.

FishEyeAquaculture
Sustainable Aquatics has Tank-Raised Yellow and Hippo tangs.

Those aren't aquacultured, they're still taken from wild stocks. It is currently being worked on with success from what I understand.

no need, really - they generally ship well, are relatively easy to catch in the wild, and populations of most species are high.

There is always a need when wild stocks are taken. As far as the two most popular species, Yellow tangs from Hawaii might become more scarce has Hawaii is working on collection restrictions, Purple Tangs come from Yemen...and we all know that you never know what is going to happen with the middle east.

Sustainable Aquatics has Tank-Raised Yellow and Hippo tangs.

Tank raised only means that they where caught young and raised in tanks - tank raised and tank bred are two completely different things.

LittleFishy

I know I have seen a few breeders working on it, but I haven't seen anyone able to do it on a commercial level. Give it another year or two and tank bred tangs will probably be as abundant as tank bred clownfish. :)

Archived