Top Shelf Aquatics

fifty50's ADA 60P

fifty50

removed the AC50 surface skimmer attachment, not crazy about the look and was bulky in the tank. we'll see how just the AC50 and MP10 do at keeping the surface scum under control.

also ended up getting a new toy yesterday after work. got me an Apex Jr. i know it's not necessary but i'm a tech geek/gadget whore and pulled the trigger. fairly simple to configure. it took me longer to configure the macbook as a network bridge to connect the Apex Jr directly to the macbook's ethernet port than to figure out how to configure the Apex Jr. still a lot more to learn with it, but right now using it as a fail safe for the heater. no need for light control since the Aquatic Life has a built in timer.

thanks for looking!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

visited the brother in law who has a 180g tank. got quite a few frags that were added to the ADA last night. 7-8 different types of zoo's, 2 different mushrooms, and a cabbage leather coral! don't remember all the zoa names but there are eagle eyes, armor of god's and darth maul's. pics to come in a few days when everything fully opens. right now they're just on frag plugs on the sand bed.

i think thats it on softies. next corals will be SPS!

• 3 weeks later...

just letting things mature. added a bicolor blenny last weekend. still in the hiding phase, but funny when i do see him.

also been battling dictyota :angry:. manual picking just leads to it spreading. ended up pulling the trigger on algaefix which i should get in a few days. read nothing but good things about it.

but in better news, tank hits the 3mo mark in the next few days!

2 days shy of the 3mo anniversary but here are the pics now since I won't be around this weekend.

also some bad news - the bicolor blenny, frank, that i added 5 days ago kicked the bucket this evening. not sure what happened really. water params are in check and nothing else in the tank showing any signs of stress. everything else doing well for that matter.

pic from a few weeks ago but i lol'd nonetheless. hermit crab must've base jumped from a rock above and got stuck.

P1030780.JPG

slow growing red hornets. maybe 2mo and only one extra head

P1030804.JPG

P1030807.JPG

blue rimmed monti cap

P1030818.JPG

P1030820.JPG

P1030831.JPG

green birdsnest

P1030835.JPG

FTS 10/21

P1030795.JPG

just some growth shots of the SPS that i got from a local reefer on 9/29.

blue rimmed monti - 10/3

P1030793.JPG

blue rimmed monti - 10/21

P1030818.JPG

green birdsnest - 10/3

P1030788.JPG

green birdsnest - 10/21

P1030828.JPG

birdsnest from different angle - 10/21

P1030835.JPG

thanks for looking!

• 1 month later...

four month picture update! nothing really changed, just continuing to let the tank mature. enjoy!

tubs blue

P1030843.JPG

vivid rainbows and candy apple reds

P1030845.JPG

red hornets with a green mushroom in the foreground, blue mushroom in background

P1030852.JPG

green monti with blue edges

P1030857.JPG

unknown zoa

P1030861.JPG

nuclear greens and jendub yellow jacket zoas

P1030863.JPG

green birdsnest

P1030868.JPG

pair of black ice clowns - still the only fish in the tank

P1030882.JPG

FTS - 11/23

P1030839.JPG

enjoy!

Nice looking tank fifty50.. what kind of light are you using? I like the new corals and your getting some great growth in a short amount of time. Do you dose any supplements?

Nice looking tank fifty50.. what kind of light are you using? I like the new corals and your getting some great growth in a short amount of time. Do you dose any supplements?

Thanks! Things really been showing growth the past 2mo or so. I'm just sitting back and letting it do it's thang. Would definitely like to add more sps and another fish as well.

My first post has an equipment breakdown, but the light is a 24" 4x24w AquaticLife T5HO setup with stock bulbs. I chose it for the built in timer and single power cord which is nice (the wife hates the sight of cords!).

• 2 weeks later...
Lookin' good! I see your going for the xenia background method, haha.

Ha yes! Background isn't painted so trying to hide the AC50.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice! Everything looks like its doing well!

Yea, they're looking great. Hope they grow nicely (and fast!) once they're mounted.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the third fish should be?

• 1 month later...

6mo anniversary shots and new additions!

new adds from 1/22:

ORA Tri color

ORA Plum Crazy

Tyree Pink Lemonade

ORA Red Planet

Birds of paradise

P1030919.JPG

P1030922.JPG

P1030926.JPG

P1030930.jpg

P1030932.jpg

P1030940.jpg

P1030942.JPG

P1030947.JPG

P1030948.JPG

P1030955.JPG

surface agitation:

P1030974.JPG

FTS 1/23/12

P1030969.JPG

so 6mo in and getting the itch to upgrade. thinking of jbj unibody and jbj's new 30gal nanocube is looking nice! currently holding back though, but so tempting!

Looks like you found your 3rd fish there! Nice frags :P

Those new nanocubes do look nice, though you should you need to run out of space first before you can upgrade! haha

Looks like you found your 3rd fish there! Nice frags :P

Those new nanocubes do look nice, though you should you need to run out of space first before you can upgrade! haha

Lol true.

Yea, I saw the Midas at the LFS a few weeks ago and it had a great personality. I couldn't resist!

I should get a better camera for better macro shots before I upgrade anything!

meh, been battling cyano past few weeks. starting to spread further the past few days. been slowing down feeding and started to shorten light period. we'll see if it helps.

in the mean time, i pulled the trigger on a gently used deltec mce300. should help a bit ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the tank. Battle with cyano has pretty much ended. Added a hydor slim skim nano to the tank as well which looks to be helping with the overall health of the tank. Currently at the 9mo mark for the stock T5 bulbs so I ordered replacement ATI's. Going with the combo below:

AB Special

Blue Plus

AB Special

Purple Plus

In the process of adding a bulb every 5days or so.

Also adding a tunze osmolator ATO. Got this since I'm going away for 9days end of the month and won't have a tank sitter.

Should take receipt of the new tank (referenced in my previous post) when I get back as well. Already got new dry rock, return pump, and DC8 for the apex jr. Will use a Euroreef skimmer i have laying around as well Going to future proof that tank upgrade!! Stay tuned!

I'll try to take update pics of the 60p this week. I know it's been a while!

some photos as promised! i really need to get a SLR with macro lens!

this is with following T5 bulb setup. currently in the process of acclimating with new ATI bulbs, front to back.

AB Special

Blue Plus

stock 10k

stock actinic

vivid rainbows, candy apple reds, capt americas

P1040003.JPG

P1040013.JPG

P1040018.JPG

P1040019.JPG

SPS garden on a frag rack. had it for about 2mo but decided to wait to mount the frags onto rock because i'll be upgrading the tank next month. includes, ORA Tri color, ORA Plum Crazy, Tyree Pink Lemonade, ORA Red Planet and Birds of paradise.

P1040035.JPG

FTS:

P1040077.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Archived