Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cigarette smoke bad for humans, toxic for fish?

SaltyMist

I was talking to a coworker today who informed me (even though he keeps FW tanks) that cigarette smoke is toxic to fish.

He said that even though he's a non smoker, he believes that smokers who keep reef tanks or even just marine tanks are killing their fish, and that if the reef owner smokes in the same room as the tank, it will kill the fish.

He went on to mention that if the owner smokes, and then puts his/her hands into the marine tank environment, it will poison the fish, if done enough it will kill the fish.

I am a smoker, and have been even when I had my 55 gallon FOWLR in a small apartment and nothing happened that was bad to the tank. But Im wondering how true his thoughts are on the subject?

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler? Anyone?

Thanks,

well considering all the things that cause humans cancer I think it would act a lot quicker on smaller animals that are very sensitve to chemicals.

No smoking in the same room as a fish tank will not poison a tank. But on a safe note always wash your hands before putting them in your tank anyways. I've been smoking for 19 years and haven't had any ill effects towards my tanks due to smoking.

Originally posted by adam2373

No smoking in the same room as a fish tank will not poison a tank. But on a safe note always wash your hands before putting them in your tank anyways. I've been smoking for 19 years and haven't had any ill effects towards my tanks due to smoking.

Wouldn't washing your hands bring in more chemicals also?

if you are using carbon any ill effects from smoke tar nicotine etc will be filtered out. personally i blow bonghits directly at my nano just makes the fish hungry;)

Wash you hands with a natural soap--rinse,rinse and rinse more.

Or, you could use gloves....just a thought.

Also, don't let your fish smoke--its so bad for them.

Yeah, Im actually looking for those wader type gloves in the LFS since online stores want the same price local stores can get them for, but also want like $8.75 for shipping, which seems a bit high for something that weighs all of a quarter pound. Unfortunately no LFS have them in stock. So in the long run I may end up having to pay the shipping since LFS's dont seem to want to special order them for me.

Archived