ReefCleaners.org

Paigee's 20L Extravaganza!

Paigee

Haha thanks guys. I've also encountered some micro bubbles forming, the only cause I can think of is I took a rock out to fresh water dip and maybe some air is escaping from it? It wasn't a problem before I removed the rock. I panicked when I first saw them because we had had our carpets cleaned, but they aren't sudsy bubbles at all and my zoa, mushroom and CUC are not bothered at all. I'm hoping the bubbles go away on their own.

I tried unplugging the powerhead and slooshing it out in case any air was stuck in there but that didn't help.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weeeeee got more corals :) Went to a place a little closer to home to check out their stuff (place I like best is about a half hour drive each way). Their corals are nice, alright prices, but I wouldn't buy their fish. They have them in algae infested tanks and keep some of them in kritter keepers (I guess so they're easier to catch?)

Went home with 2 zoa frags (that were on frag plugs.. I already broke one off so its just the rubble)

I noticed one had an aiptasia on it :angry: So I cut as much off as possible. I know this will not get rid of it, but in the mean time I'll look into getting a syringe and some aiptasia-x or something... We'll see. Maybe I cut it all and it won't come back :D

Anywho, I think one frag is BamBams (orange with purple?) and the others not sure on an ID yet, they were the ones with the aiptasia so they were pissed from me fiddling around with them. I know they have very bright yellow/green skirts, but don't remember the rest from the store.

Also got a small frogspawn :) It has a super deep green with pink/purple tips.

Pics tonight when everything is happier!

Yay pics as promised!!

FTS with flash

P1040110.jpg?t=1313564952

Cool close up of frogspawn

P1040106.jpg?t=1313565026

Top down of frogspawn just for fun

P1040108.jpg?t=1313565083

Another shot of the mushie... Possibly coloured up more?

P1040105.jpg?t=1313565125

Zoa frag from about a week ago.... Those 2 random polyps showed up, any ID?

P1040104.jpg?t=1313565167

New zoa... Bam bams?

P1040102.jpg?t=1313565230

Other new zoa... Not sure on ID

P1040100.jpg?t=1313565309

In the order of your pictures: the two polyps don't look like anything special, just typical brown polyps I think. The Bam Bams could easily be that or Fire and Ice, there's a lot of similar ones out there. The last ones are definitely Blue Hornets and those look awesome as a big colony!

Keep it up!

Thanks Joel! It's a little hard to tell in the pic, but currently what I said were bambams do have a purple center... They might turn into blue though. They did have them under good T5HO lighting at the store, so I'm thinking the colors are what they are, but we'll find out! :)

How do the hornets look under your actinics? I really like the way they look but I'm hoping that once my tank is full I'll be shuffling out the coral that doesn't "glow."

Not a lot to report, did a water change today and rearranged a bit, placed some zoas on what will become "zoa rock" which is the island on the far right. In the future I thought it might be cool to have a birds nest grow on the back to add a little height to the right side.

Mental note for shopping list next week:

Refractometer

Epoxy

FISH!! :) My mom is getting me my first fish for my birthday! A fire fish :happydance:

Thanks I'm pretty excited :) They are the reason I set up this tank!

Speaking of fish, I was thinking about my end game stocking list... I came up with something like this:

Firefish

Tailspot blenny

Neon goby

I know three is a stretch in such a small tank, but the goby is so itty bitty I figured I could get away with it.

Yes? No? Maybe so? :)

Thanks I'm pretty excited :) They are the reason I set up this tank!

Speaking of fish, I was thinking about my end game stocking list... I came up with something like this:

Firefish

Tailspot blenny

Neon goby

I know three is a stretch in such a small tank, but the goby is so itty bitty I figured I could get away with it.

Yes? No? Maybe so? :)

No Clown???!!! lol

any of those are fine but in 10g...2 fish...cause the smaller get bigger. IMO

I saw your other tank thread...have fun with that!!!!!

Haha the clown is going in the bigger one!! Maybe I'll leave the TSB for the bigger one too and just get the firefish and the neon goby... We'll see!

Weeee just had my birthday dinner tonight and got a little monies for corals!!! omgomgomg

Going to get my fishie on Wednesday along with a refractometer, some epoxy so I can permamount my corals, and also a bit more CUC... Any suggestions for a good sand sifting snail? My ceriths bury themselves but don't do a good job of stirring up sand.

Nassarius are pretty good, you might also want to look into sand sifting fish or maybe even a sand sifting star (not sure of the suitability of either of those last two suggestions in a 10 gallon).

Oh and PS, I wished you a happy early Berfday and now I'm wishing you a happy belated one too :lol:

Haha no both are still early! My real birthday isn't until Tuesday, but we figured Saturday night was a much better night to celebrate :)

There has been a murder in my tank! I tried to stop it, but was too late. My electric blue hermie killed one of my nassarius snails for his shell. It's partly my fault because I didn't have any spares in there, but I didn't think he would need one so soon! Oh well. So I'm trying to feed the body of the snail to my frogspawn, but the body just fell off after a few minutes so I put it down the sink.

Should I be feeding my frogspawn?

Also, does a puffed up frogspawn mean its happy? As in the tentacles look full of air?

Great tank paigee! Can't wait to see what you get with your birthday money!

One of my crabs is sporting a new Astrea snail home. I hate to think how he got it :( It happens though. Crabs are killers.

When I had my frogspawn I would feed it. Not everyday...maybe 2 times a week. I would just squeeze some mysis near the mouths. Sounds like yours is pretty happy :)

Beautiful scape and tank! how's your fish doing? keep up the nice work and thanks for visiting my thread. i will do the same. :)

Great tank paigee! Can't wait to see what you get with your birthday money!

One of my crabs is sporting a new Astrea snail home. I hate to think how he got it :( It happens though. Crabs are killers.

When I had my frogspawn I would feed it. Not everyday...maybe 2 times a week. I would just squeeze some mysis near the mouths. Sounds like yours is pretty happy :)

Ok I'll feed him once I get some food when I get my fish :) I didn't buy any food since I figure my snails/crab eat debritus and my corals were photosynthetic. But I figure he would benefit from a little feeding now and then.

I'm still debating where I want to permanently mount him! I'm so paranoid he is going to sting something that he is still sitting on his plug in the sand in the very front corner of the tank -_-

Beautiful scape and tank! how's your fish doing? keep up the nice work and thanks for visiting my thread. i will do the same. :)

Thanks for the compliment! :) I haven't gotten my fish quite yet, I go on Wednesday, but I will definitely post pics and stuff when its all settled in!!

omgomgomg The Subcurrent surface skimmer filter I ordered came today :) It does take up a little more room than I'd like, it's about 2.5 inches deep (which is a lot when the tank is only 10" deep) but I really like the extra flow it adds, and that I can adjust completely the direction of the flow with the locline. So far I eliminated a dead spot in the back corner and got much more surface agitation with one pointing almost parallel but slightly upwards. I'm hoping the carbon and mechanical filtration will increase water quality. Also, didn't use the bioballs that came with it. I'll save those for my freshwater canister.

It isn't too loud, a small noticeable hum, but I'm hoping that will quiet down a bit more as it breaks in. Probably still going to tinker with the flow direction and such. It was a tight squeeze getting it in behind the rock on the right hand side!! Waiting to see if the frogspawn likes the increased flow. It isn't in direct flow, it has a "break water" as it is sitting in a cove in the rock. We'll find out!

pismo_reefer
It isn't too loud, a small noticeable hum, but I'm hoping that will quiet down a bit more as it breaks in.

This sounds silly,

but I had to take the pump out and mess with the impellar to get mine quiet.

It took me 3 tries, but the 3rd time it was damn near silent.

Throw a bag of ChemiPure Elite in there.

Your water well look a LOT wetter... :D

This sounds silly,

but I had to take the pump out and mess with the impellar to get mine quiet.

It took me 3 tries, but the 3rd time it was damn near silent.

Throw a bag of ChemiPure Elite in there.

Your water well look a LOT wetter... :D

What do you mean by mess with the impeller?

And it almost sounds like the pump might be vibrating against the bottom of the over flow box... not sure. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow maybe and play with it, didn't have time to last night.

Archived