inTank Media Baskets

Glass Anemone Shrimp

MKramer

Does anyone here keep a Glass Shrimp? If so, do you feed it anything in particular, or does it just scavenge for little bits of food leftover from your fish?

Thanks,

Matthew

Yeah Ive kept them.. they will breed easily too. They are fresh water though. They will live for about 20 min in salt water, but they are fun to watch get snapped up by fish. They are un demanding and I fed them a variety of stuff.. The LFS I worked in years ago just gave them crappy Flake. they lived forever and reproduced like mad.. unfortunately theyd eat the offspring.

ON SECOND THOUGHT....LOL (I tout I taw a puty tat....) anemone glass shrimp..LOL

They ARE salt water, and are uncommon in the pet trade as they are considered "borring" my many as they have no color or any real "beauty"......... I like them, so does my Marine betta.. for obvious reasons... hehh

Presuming you're talking about the common glass/grass/ghost shrimp....

We keep them in my husband's freshwater tank, where they're great scavengers and eat the algae, too. They can live in saltwater, IF properly acclimated -- over a period of a week or more. I'd recommend raising the s.g. no more than .02 per day, if you want them to survive the transition from fw to sw and live for any significant length of time. I'll be putting some in one of my brackish tanks to clean up after the mollies. I'd keep them in all my brackish tanks, but they're a favorite food of gobies and puffers!

BustytheSnowMaam

From what I've read of them (I haven't kept one), they will eat whatever is offered to them (flake, frozen, etc.) and will clean up leftovers too.

My thinking (again, this is based on something I've read, can't remember the source) is that whenever something is offered for sale which usually has a symbiotic relationship with an anemone, the anemone is often destroyed in the process of catching it. I don't know if this is 100% true or not.

Tasha

Archived