Pod Your Reef

mangroves

Amo2011

Will mangroves thrive in a fuge if FULLY submerged? how long does it take for them to open up?

Will mangroves thrive in a fuge if FULLY submerged? how long does it take for them to open up?

They will grow, but I don't think they will flower until they are out of water.

Mangrove Keeping

Not too sure why you'de want to keep them in a fuge fully submerged. They grow pretty slowly for any sizeable level of nutrient export and I don't know that it's good to prune them to keep them that way.

Nice link Ninja!

I bought some "seeds" from ebay back in middle of May.. no roots and just a green point on the top. stuck them all in the fuge with water level at mid point of the seeds. was hitting them with a weak LED... but had no growth at the tip for over a month while they all grew roots.

so a month ago, I took some out and planted them in soil and left it by the window (no direct sunlight but brighter). at the same time, also took a few from the fuge and stuck them in fresh water, brought them to work where the office lights are on 24hrs a day. now, the mangroves in the fuge still have no growth at the tip, but the ones I planted in soil as well as a couple at the office are about to sprout leaves any day now.

conclusion I'm getting is the mangrove pods in the fuge just isn't getting enough light from the weak LED.

I just bought a spiral compact fluorescent natural daylight bulb from Home Depot to replace the weak LED... will see how that works in a couple weeks.

Amo, from what I read, you do not want to FULLY submerge the mangroves. The tip must be above water for it to grow.

Archived