Cultivated Reef

Lighting Suggestions?

NinjaBum

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been on here. I was wondering if I could get some input. I am going to fire up my 100g again and am going to do a full macro display. I am curious about lighting.

I ran a lot of macros before, but seemed to have issues with a few of them so I thought I may have been running too much light. It's a tall tank so its 48"L by 24" deep. I thought I had it all planned out, but a few tanks I've seen on here run a lot more light for how deep they are in comparison to what I was with great looking results.

I have to capability of running up to 8x54w T5's. When I was running all of them I felt like it was too much. I was planning on running just 4 of them this time around. 2x 6500K daylights and 2x ATI Blue+. I would run all daylights, but I don't especially like the color running pure 6500K's gives off. Now seeing some of the light outputs a few of you are running, I'm worried that may not be enough.

Here are a few pictures of my previous setup. I believe at this point I was running 6 bulbs. It was more than enough for my LPS and soft corals, but at times I felt it was too much for some of my reds. I don't know now if it wasn't more an issue of flow and nutrients though since I see some setups with Halymenia running pretty high up in the tank under a lot more wattage/tank depth than I had.

022-1.jpg?t=1310924945

012.jpg?t=1310925237

Suggestions would be appreciated. My rock setup was difficult to work with because it wasn't very well planned and was composed of a few massive rocks instead of a few islands of smaller ones. I'm trying to plan out a better setup.

Thanks in advance for any input rendered.

Archived