Pod Your Reef

I finally got him! Now what to do...

newreefguy

Hi All,

I was finally able to catch this little bugger. He had been eluding me for weeks and was a hitchhiker in one of my rocks. The question is what should I do with him? Do you think he is reef safe? Hmmmmmm ...

rock_crab.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions. I am not sure what to do at this point. I don’t want him munching on my future corals. The tank is mostly LR right now.

Ryan

He is in a plastic cup in the tank right now with some sand in the bottom. I wouldn’t mind letting him go if I knew he wasn’t going to cause any trouble.

man, crabs aren't all that bad, just look at it's pincers, if they Are C shapped for scraping algie, (like a Emerald or a Hairy) Don't worry about it toss it back, if they are sharp and made for killing stuff, then take it to your lfs, and give it away.

still think it is a pom pom crab even though it is missing the bunodeopsis anemones there are at least 3 different species of Lybia crab and they all differ is appearance, several others who work with me agree based on the picture submitted although it is hard to base an ID strictly on a photo I would put him back in my reef tank.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody!

It looks like his pinchers are c-shaped. I think I am going to let him go. Before I caught him he seemed to like to keep to himself so hopefully he won’t cause any trouble. I added a small GSP colony a couple days before I removed him and all the polyps look fine. :)

Ryan

Archived