inTank Media Baskets

Macros fading

lazaah

I have two clumps of gracilaria curtissae in my tank, one 6" directly under a boost 4w1b fitting, the other 4in under a 9w boyu pc fixture.

Both algae are showing less compact growth around the edges, followed by the tips turning flurescent then white. They have been in the tank atleast two months, and this has always happened.

I am running purigen, main filtration is just rock and fuge. No3 is currently 0.5ppm, Po4 is undetectable.

Light cycles for each algae are 8hrs for one, 16 for the other.

Im still getting green algae on the rock and glass (no real nuisance algae).

I am keeping sps, and don't fancy dosing for macros as to my knowledge this will prohibit the sps growth and looks.

I want to add more macros to the tank but I am hesitant because I'm not sure whats going on with the gracilaria, I also had calurpa in there but that quickly crashed (about 2 months ago, lasted a week).

Anyone have an ideas or suggestions?

Yeah as far as I know, sps tanks are far from ideal for a broad range of macro algae. You're going to need to try different types of macros out before you find one that will get along in an sps tank situation. What is the spectrum of lighting (white) you're using? Actinics alone are not really ideal for macros. Also, don't be discouraged by 1 incident of caulpera melting; they can be finicky. Though I would suggest you stick with the varieties that aren't invasive. Go to reefcleaners.org and get some cactus and/ or palm leaf caulpera. Those are more slow growing and nicer looking too.

Are you dosing calcium for your sps? If so you may want to try halimedia and shaving brush algae. They may need a sand bed though, so read up on them.

For a red type of macro algae. I would suggest getting the red titan algae from John at reefcleaners.org. His are always the nicest with the biggest leaves. I've gotten some from other hobbyist named 'red titan' but those tend to be very small leaved (not sized) in comparison to what John sells at reefcleaners.

johnmaloney

is your green algae on the rocks hard to scrape off? if so it may be coralline, and probably not telling of how much nutrients are in the tank.

Cheers mate. For now I just have one birdsnest, although I would like to get a acro and/or gorg in there too. Unfortunately if I tried to import macro algae into the country I live in they would probably throw me in jail.

Halimedia is available where I am, and maybe some of the other Calurpa species, not sure though. I start my marine botany paper at uni next week so hopefully I can acclimate some local algae.

Anyway, can anyone else provide insight to what might be going on?

Yeah it is, didn't realize it was coralline though, cheers for that John, your input is always appreciated. Ive always wanted to order from your store but my location prohibits it :(

yeah I am in NZ bra, don't think the aussies would be quite as strict about tropical sp. but NZ customs don't want a bar of it lol

johnmaloney

I have always wanted to visit New Zealand but my location prevents it. :)

Resonance is probably right, and it is probably also a nutrient limitation thing. But just to be sure it isn't the only thing affecting them I would change their position under the light. I think reds in general are easier to keep outside of the spotlight, I would move the one way from the center of the LED, and the other further down in the water column is possible. I would keep the same algae under 40w PC in a 29 long at the bottom of a tank with the light about 5 inches above the water.

Cheers for that, how can your location prohibit you? I recommend comming in spring/early summer if you ever do, make an effort to visit the bay of islands, bay of plenty, and fiordland.

yeah I am in NZ bra, don't think the aussies would be quite as strict about tropical sp. but NZ customs don't want a bar of it lol

Ah yeah, that makes sense lol. I was gonna say if you're in Oz, there are a few Oz specific salty forums and you could trade with someone there. Not too sure bout Nz specific forums though. Yeah I would love to visit Nz one day too. I wonder how strict New Zealand customs is when you're shipping things OUT of the country.

Though an Asian friend of mine did experience someone throwing a brick at her head (missed by inches) when she visited 2 years ago. Lol. :huh::o . The hater was in a car, she and her friends where hiking along a highway.

I have always wanted to visit New Zealand but my location prevents it. :)

Resonance is probably right, and it is probably also a nutrient limitation thing.

Hey John, you can call me "Res" for short. Otherwise its almost like when I was a kid and my parents would call me by my full name when I got caught doing something naughty lol.

Cheers for that, how can your location prohibit you? I recommend comming in spring/early summer if you ever do, make an effort to visit the bay of islands, bay of plenty, and fiordland.

I think what John meant was that since he's in Flordia, the cost of airfare to NZ would be prohibitive, having first to fly over the U.S., then across the pacific and back. ;):lol:

Totally understandable too.

ahh i see about flying all over the show, that suck...and yeah we do get the odd ######## here, pretty strange it was on the highway! There can be a lot of petty racism toward asians though, just from idiots really.

I am a member of our Marine society here but macros are just all round hard to get, most people keep low nutrient tanks, and any macros that are here are ones that came in years ago before realising that a lot of these tropical species are highly invasive.

How well, plan is to try reduce the light on the macros i have to slow growth down a bit. Hopefully thats my problem! On the look out for slower growing macros now, might have luck there.

Cheers guys!

Archived