ReefCleaners.org

recommend cleaner crew

sprite

my tank has finished cycling and hair algea is starting to bloom so i think its time to add a cleaner crew to the setup.anyone recommend a crew for a 7 gallon...thanks

if you're sure your tank is done cycling, you can get a crew of various snails. i would recommend a few astrea snails(2), a few nassarius snails(2-3), and maybe one turbo snail. but if you do get a turbo, try to get it as small as possible, cause these guys can get pretty big. big enough to topple some unsteady live rock. but they do eat hair algae, and a lot of it. and if you wanted hermit crabs, just make sure to get some tiny blue leg hermits.

i agree with jaguilars decision. but i just want to know how you know your tank is done cycling? did you test it or are you just going by the principal that your tank has been setting long enough and the parameters should be good. (never do that) if you did test it what were your results. ph, nitrates, nitrites, alk, cal, amm, sg.

I don't even wait that long. When LR goes in my tanks, so do the cleanup crews. I like to use a ratio of 1:1 (one snail per gallon of H2O) and mix up the snail species and use true mexican red legged hermits, the smaller, the better, at a 1:2 mix (one crab per two gallons).

I've found that most snails and crabs are quite tolerant of the cycling process and by introducing them early, they can keep diatom and green algae blooms in check.

So, yeah. Add them.

i know its done cycling because all my parameters are where their supposed to be for like 2 weeks now...i just added 1 turbo and 3 astrea for now . im not sure if i want hermits or not yet.... it will be coral only tank with no fish...so im hoping to not have to add hermits

Archived