Pod Your Reef

PROBLEM!: Just realized i have a huge clam??

Boomerblaster

Boomerblaster

Hey everyone!! Just came home to my first half of TBS rock, and guess what i think i found!!!?? I think i found a huge clam... about 5 inches across. It is upside down on the tip of a rock? and its mouth opens towards the rock so i can only see some of it. It looks like rock... just like the rest of it! I can't believe i just saw it. Now... what do i feed it? And i also have what i believe may be an oyster??? It is also camoflaged on a rock, and looks like a round end to a rock. It is really unusual, it isnt like the clam. It has an opening but is covered and is flexible. There are two openings. One large with an edge all around that extens out, and one is LR to come with too much life!!? THanks everyone!

-Jonathan

well, if its a problem you can send it my way :) , other wise marine snow is a good feeding solution, make sure to pipette it near the intake of the clam though

Boomerblaster

lol... Nahhhh... I think ill keep it for now. I can't believe i thought it was rock! It is really neat, it opens really wide, but i can't see inside because of the shadow! Thanks for the reply though. I will go this weekend to pick up some food for it. Why is it upside down though? Is there any particular reason? Thanks again!

-Jonathan

It is upside down because it is probably attached to the rock. Turn the rock over and give it some light.

Have a pic of it?

i just throw 2 back to the ocean. its a clam with a rock shell. the nitrate is high ever since i have that in my tank so i got rid of that.i dont know how big is yours but is like 5" diameter

Boomerblaster

It has really nice coverage on the back side, and is the best part of an entire base rock in my 20 gal. It is about 4.5 inches (just measured) across the entire back side of it. Why would my nitrates rise because of it? And could i just take it off of the rock that it is on, without hurting it, and flip it over like it should be? Thanks for the replies all!

-Jonathan

maroonclown

They like being hidden. I found many 1/2" clams, and they all hide under rocks. I pulled one oit from the bottom, and within 2 days, it moved back under the rock. Point of story: Leave the clam alone.

quandary_23

When I got my LR, not too long ago (2 months now), 2 weeks after being in my tank a clam appeared on top of the rock work some how? I saw clams all over the place, small baby ones, I think a baby positioned itself there at the begining and now is about 1/2" or so and doing fine. I just started using DT's for my flower pot coral, yes I know not a good coral for whatever level aquarist you are, but the clam is awesome not colorful but very responsive to movement.

I agree with maroonclown and let it go, if it needs to move it will do so. Have fun

Originally posted by Boomerblaster

It has really nice coverage on the back side, and is the best part of an entire base rock in my 20 gal. It is about 4.5 inches (just measured) across the entire back side of it. Why would my nitrates rise because of it? And could i just take it off of the rock that it is on, without hurting it, and flip it over like it should be? Thanks for the replies all!

-Jonathan

I think yours is diff since it attach to the live rock and mind is 1 piece of LR that open and close in the center gap.when it close it look like a nomal piece of LR. nitrate goes up cause it produce ammonia , its like you having a 5" fish in your nano.
BKtomodachi

I would like to make a note that the clam you are talking about does not need light, and that there are almost always hitchhiking clams that are native to deeper water. And if you werent feeding it and its big, then you may not need to. Also they may even die if their light is to bright.

It's odd that I came across this post, I thought I was the only one that had a hitchhiker clam on a rock, I first noticed it when I saw air bubbles coming from a rock I thought it was trapped air ? Then I saw the cause of it this rock was moving and a closer look I saw the shell "breathing" I had it upside down from the rock I guess it was trying to breathe so I turned it around and it's been great since. Interestig to see what other life develops from these rocks.

I agree that there are hitchhiking clams on live rock, But this one is 5 ", not your little baby clam.

Can you get a pic of it?

Haha. I got a few clams died mouth(?) open. No flesh inside them.

It is kind of funny to see part of LR opened and left that way. Going to take them out when I done with cycling.

BTW, I want to see your picture too.

Boomerblaster

i really wish i could! But i don't have a digi cam yet... im only sixteen and the fact that he let me get the package was simply amazing for me lol! But my sister did get one for christmas, a really nice one too, but she went back to Penn State... she should be home in a few weeks. I'lll take a bunch of pics for the boards, so you'll just have to wait till then!! haha... i am getting my second shipment of the package this weekend! YES! i had to wait for like 3 weeks tho... they ran out of rock :(. Thanks everyone for replying... i think i will leave it there for now.

-Thanks again!! >Jonathan

Archived