ReefCleaners.org

eclipse 12

drewmd.

i have an eclipse system 12 that i want to turn into a nano reef. the only problem i have encountered is the fact that i can't seem to find anyone that carries the lighting that i want. a 50/50 mixture of day and actinic. i have heard that this has been done before and if any one here can help me i would really appreciate it.

drew, i too have the eclipse12, and i upgraded mine with the 2x32watt retro kit from csl. it consists of 2 bulbs-one 32w 10,000k(daylight), and one 32w actinic(blue). in order for me to fit this kit in my eclipse hood, i had to remove the stock filtration, which i didn't like very much anyways. the stock filter blocks light from getting to the back 1/3 of the tank. so i ditched it and replaced it with a ac200 hob. if you really wanted to keep the stock filter, you could get the single 32w smartlite retro from csl. it consists of a single 32 watt 50/50 bulb.

http://www.championlighting.com/e/env/0001...item=main:pce32

http://www.championlighting.com/e/env/0001...em=main:pc15232

this link shows both the single 32w retro and the 2x32w retro. i ordered my kit from championlighting and was extremely satisfied with both the product and the service. good luck... j.

thanks for the info jag. i think i will keep the filter in tact for now. i heard it is a very good filter and to be honest i don't really want to take out anything that i don't need to. i will check out the sites you gave me and probably will go with the 50/50 bulb. again thanks for your info.

You dont need the filter...if you have live rock and sand, you have enough biological filtration...all you need to do is change water once per week...it is so simple... I have my tank now for month or two, and everything is growing like crazy..i purchased 2x32w retro kit as well from ebay...removed the old lighting completely, screwed the reflector into the hood, attached the lights to the clamps, and I actually have the hood mounted to a cabinet 4 inches above the water now.... I keep my temp at around 80 degrees in the tank...I have zero fish, just snails and hermits..had a damsel but he pecked at my snails so he is gone..I have zoos, frogspawn, torch, gsps, candy coral shrooms... all thriving and expanding...very simple....highly recommended.. i just added two min powerheads that my buddy from marineland hooked me up with...they are 60gph so a total of 120gph, plus the prizm hang on skimmer I have running...so get plenty of circulation...tank looks great..see my pics on here..

you actually should go with the SuperNova retrofit if youre gonna go with the single 32w 50/50 and wanna keep your stock filtration. the only reason is that the smartlite does not have waterproof endcaps while the supernova and the 2 X 32w retro do have them. if you do plan on getting rid of the stock filtration(which if you have enough lr and ls, as gmoney said) the powerquad retro by csl(now outta business) or by coralife will fit but you will have major evap problems. good luck!

Archived