Cultivated Reef

need help on lighting

Nick

Hi everyone

i really need help before i make a mistake on lighting options, i have a spare ten gallon tank that i would like to be a nano but before i do any thing i would like to do the lighting thing first so:

1 how many watt's should the lighting have?

2 what kind of lighting should it be?

3 what company is it from?

any answers are welcome thank you

Nick.

1) As much wattage as you can cram over the tank. Just kidding. It really depends on the types of corals you want to keep. For deep water soft corals and LPS corals, anywhere from 80-100 watts of 1:1 10k & 20k bulbs. For mid water LPS and SPS corals, 130-150 watts of 1:1 10k & 20k bulbs. For top water SPS corals and blue Tridacnid clams, 175-250 watts of light (10k metal halide + 20k or actinic florescent combo hood).

2) Compact Florescent, VHO, T5 or Metal Halides (in order from weakest to strongest).

3) There's lots of companies making acceptable hoods/canopies/pendants. Check out www.hellolights.com or other lighting stores in the sponsors section, or www.drsfostersmith.com or www.exoticfish.com. If you can follow a wiring diagram and have some minor electrical skill, you can even buy parts and make the lights yourself to save $$ or buy a retrofit kit.

Archived