Top Shelf Aquatics

DO I need these teset kits?

Djm9288

Hi,  I was wondering if I needed kits to measure the calcium levels and alkalinity in my tank. I just want to put the supplements in without having to measure. So do I need those other test kits. I have one for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and one for pH.

Daniel

Guest AbSoluTc

Adding suppliments blindly to any reef without prior testing is a NO NO!

Get the CA test and that should do you.  Ammonia is only needed in the intial "cycle" of the tank.  Nitrates, Calcium, Ph are the main tests to have.

youi really need to get an ALK kit if you are planning on adding suppliments Things can get really whacky fast if your CA and ALK get out of balance.

as stated above never add anything blindly into your tank....Trust us on that one.

GL,

Toy

As toy and absolut have just said, its better not to add suplements blindly. To sart off with, its advised to have a complete test kit, to test all the vital chemical compositions etc...... however as you grow accustomed to the supplements, you will not need to check on a regular basis (an every now and then kind of thing would be all that is needed).

I agree.  Its very important to have them at the start of a tanks life.  Later on, you just get to know how much of what to add etc so its not essential.  But definately at the start you need to test and get an idea of h ow things are ticking away in the tank.  

I would suggest ALK over CA If your ALK is right your calcium will follow. If your alk is whacky you will notice bad things happening if your CA is goofy you might not see any problems for some time. and IMO the ALK tests are much easier to do and to read. also you get more tests for the money as the CA regents often are consumed quite quickely if your CA is High, (you count the drops and multiply) If I chose one over the other ALK is it.

HTH,

Toy

Archived