Innovative Marine Aquariums

╰☆╮ MauiMizu's Nano Reef ╰☆╮

MauiMizu

***UPDATE***

So here are pictures, as promised:

The Aqua C Remora in all it's glory:

post-67935-1311549040_thumb.jpg

Overkill for a 20 gallon tank, probably, but it won't be in the tank for long. I plan to put it in the new sump. For now it'll act as an HOB in the old 20 gallon high.

This is what it looks like on the tank:

post-67935-1311549103_thumb.jpg

I hope it's not too much weight back there. The AC70 fuge mod is also back there. I'm using a 15 watt LED lamp for the chaeto that I had lying around from a 5 gallon Marineland Eclipse.

Entire tank:

post-67935-1311549200_thumb.jpg

You can probably see Boz in this tank shot.. a female O Clownfish.

The Remora is up and hissing away, still producing wet foam... we'll see how it does in a few days when it breaks in. The only things in the tank at the moment are Fu and Boz, so it's just a FOWLR for now. Ammonia is still 0, but I don't plan to add anything until the new tank setup is ready for the two fish, chaeto, water and sand is transferred over.

What's the plan for the new setup?

The ADA 60-P is set to be delivered August 1st, so I still have some time to figure out what I'll do with a sump and whether or not I'm going to drill. I've never drilled a tank before, but the thought of drilling an ADA when I could possibly use in the future as a planted tank is kind of turning me away from drilling. I want a very, very clean setup - as much as possible. I may go with a MAME, or some other neat overflow. We'll see. I am also looking into ditching the Oceanic Biocube powerhead and getting a Vortech MP10. Funds are an issue, especially since I am getting married soon. I'll just keep plugging away at it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

***UPDATE***

Here is my sump design:

post-67935-1311607363_thumb.jpg

It's pretty standard and simple, but it'll do. I'll be using a 10 gallon leader, as the 10" width will fit under my stand. The Remora is 7.5 inches wide, hence the wide skimmer/drain area. I think I may use an Aquaclear 70 pump that I have lying around to try and see if I can pump water into the main tank once it is all hooked up. Anyone have experience with this?

Oh, and I'm eying the Lifereef overflow. Looks nice...

***UPDATE***

60-p will be here tomorrow.

Also...

MAME Overflow has been ordered..!

That is all for now. Pictures of the 10 gallon sump coming soon.

***UPDATE***

Made the sump. I'll just post pictures. Used Krylon Fusion for the back and bottom with auto-tint for the 3 leftover side panels. Glass baffles are 1/4" thick.

post-67935-1311906895_thumb.jpg

post-67935-1311906901_thumb.jpg

More pics:

post-67935-1311906986_thumb.jpg

post-67935-1311906994_thumb.jpg

I think that it is a pretty standard setup that is why there aren't a lot of comments. I think it looks good. I have never used a sump. is this your first sump?

I think that it is a pretty standard setup that is why there aren't a lot of comments. I think it looks good. I have never used a sump. is this your first sump?

First one, yeah. Maybe that's why I'm pretty nervous about it being 'right'.

***UPDATE***

New pics of the tank!

I forgot to buy a mat for it, so I went out and bought a yoga mat for around the same price and cut it to size (see pics). It looks nearly identical to the ADA Garden mat now + I saved on shipping.

post-67935-1312320551_thumb.jpg

The tank is crystal clear. I've never really seen anything in the real world tank-wise that has come close to it. Even the bottom panel is amazing.

post-67935-1312320557_thumb.jpg

I currently have the tank sitting empty on a dresser. It's not the actual stand the tank will be on - that is currently holding up the 20 gallon high. I need to get some dry rock and start making an aquascape base for my live rock so not so much live rock is touching the sand.

post-67935-1312320561_thumb.jpg

I also watched a few youtube.com videos on the MAME. Seems like I have it down and it helps. I only wonder, do I need a gate valve for the return tubing only? Seems like the MAME comes with clear vinyl tubing. What about a check valve on the return?

I'll get the MP10 once my wallet recovers from the MAME purchase. I already have a Jager heater on my freshwater tank as well as an Eheim canister filter... love that brand.

post-67935-1312320564_thumb.jpg

post-67935-1312320569_thumb.jpg

Saturday I went to Home Depot and bought some eggcrate. I wasn't taking chances with the rock touching the glass in the new tank. I cut the eggcrate to the area the rock would be occupying. I don't like putting eggcrate over the entire bottom panel as I know I may get a creature or two that might enjoy burrowing without hitting plastic squares. The front of the tank and two back triangles were left open. This also allows for more movement of sand.

post-67935-1312320840_thumb.jpg

post-67935-1312320843_thumb.jpg

post-67935-1312320846_thumb.jpg

I double stacked the eggcrate and tied it off with zip ties. I also took my snips and notched the eggcrate's top level perimeter for water/sand flow purposes. Can't hurt, right?

I also took down the 20 gallon high and took the top off my stand to install the sump and protein skimmer.

post-67935-1312320849_thumb.jpg

post-67935-1312320853_thumb.jpg

Oh cool looks like they are finally using the new logos on th ADA Tanks.

Everything is looking great!

Wow, I didn't know they had new logos. I had to check out what the old one looked like and I think I like the new one a lot better. Thanks, the things you learn!

Wow, I didn't know they had new logos. I had to check out what the old one looked like and I think I like the new one a lot better. Thanks, the things you learn!

Sorry if I missed it but are you drilling or no?

Sorry if I missed it but are you drilling or no?

Nope, I'm using a MAME overflow. It'll be here Friday afternoon. I couldn't bring myself to drill the ADA... feels like I'd ruin it for future use as a planted tank with RCS or whatnot if I wanted to one day go in that direction. If I did I would order lily pipes.

***UPDATE***

New pics of the MAME in action. It really cleared the clutter from my tank! Also, I changed the tank around a bit... I traded my Fu Manchu for a Star Polyp and added a shrimp and a smaller male snowflake clown for my female clown. I also have an Indigo Dottyback as well, but he/she is in hiding.

The full setup:

post-67935-1312770163_thumb.jpg

post-67935-1312770175_thumb.jpg

The MAME on the tank:

post-67935-1312770226_thumb.jpg

post-67935-1312770280_thumb.jpg

post-67935-1312770288_thumb.jpg

The ball joint broke on my old Aqueon (crappy product) and I upgraded to a Koralia 425 until I can rebound from buying the MAME and get an MP10.

Here is the sump:

post-67935-1312770377_thumb.jpg

post-67935-1312770385_thumb.jpg

And here are two pics of three new inhabitants. I traded my Fu Manchu for the Star Polyp coral:

post-67935-1312770428_thumb.jpg

post-67935-1312770437_thumb.jpg

***UPDATE***

Had a problem with the sump yesterday. I turned the entire operation off without thinking about it Monday morning to empty the protein skimmer cup. Apparently I can just do this with the sump running - but I found that out later. Anyways, this caused a disconnect in the liquid being drawn out of the tank and what was being pumped into the tank. The return pump was working much faster than the MAME was swallowing the water and resulted in the pump running out of water in the return compartment of the sump.

I came home over lunch to find a hissing and spitting pump spraying water everywhere. Not cool. I turned the pump off and then came back home after work to mess with it and I think it's good at the moment. I think.

In other news, I added an electric blue hermit crab. He's an active guy.

• 3 weeks later...

***UPDATE 8/30/11***

New pictures! I have added a red mushroom along with a strange purple coral, a porcelain crab, a torch coral, a tuxedo urchin and an Indigo Dottyback hybrid along with some assorted snails and hermit crabs.

post-67935-1314721962_thumb.jpg

post-67935-1314721948_thumb.jpg

post-67935-1314721938_thumb.jpg

Archived