Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hi,newbie here need help...

marine_phoenix

marine_phoenix

Hi everyone. I am a newbie in marine and i hope that you big bros out there can help me clear my doubts.

1) In singapore, LFS sells saltwater and i always purchase my water from them.Then when i ask them whether anot do i need to cycle my tank thay say no. So should i listen to them?

2)My ammonia and nitrite level is always the same(not at zero).What's wrong?

3)Can my nano survive if i only have a skimmer and a overhead filter for my tank?

4)Where should i place my bio-home?

5)Some kind of white stuff are coming out from my liverock and after a few hours, there are gone.What are those? They are slimy and looks like spider webs.

That's all for now and thanks. :)

1) Every tank goes through a cycle (the process of establishing a biological filter).

2) Be patient, it can take months for your ammonia and nitrite levels to zero out.

3) As long as you have about 1.5lbs of LR per gallon and adequate water flow (like 25g.p.h.), you’ll be fine.

4) Sorry, what?

5) That is normal. You’ll typically notice it when there is a disturbance (sand was stirred up or moving rocks). Sorry, I forget what critters produce them, but they are normal.

marine_phoenix

Thks for those information!!!

From what i know,a biohome is a small area in the tank which contain bio-rings etc.

And should i use blue light to luminate my tank as i have some anemone and live rock in it. Is white light ok?

Bio-balls, Bio-wheels, and I assume Bio-rings shouldn’t be necessary. One and a half pounds of LR per gallon of water (and adequate flow) is your biological filter. If you need something more consider a refugium with macro algae and/or a skimmer (I like to put some SeaGel in a media bag inside a HOB power filter).

Sounds like you will need to upgrade your lighting for the anemones.

marine_phoenix

[sounds like you will need to upgrade your lighting for the anemones. [/b]

Then what kind of light sould i change to?Blue?

And how long should i on the light per day?

What type of anemones are we talking about? Most require intense lighting and special feeding. Many people keep BTAs, but I feel that they (like most anemones that host clownfish) should be left to advanced reef keepers. Spectrum (like actinic and 10,000K bulbs) and photo cycles (around 11 hours) are important, but these creatures require light intensity (usually metal halide lighting).

Archived