inTank Media Baskets

Hard green algae on glass...I want it gone!

chiliaddik

I've searched for some topics on this and didn't exactly find what I was looking for, so it's time to ask.

I have a 29 gallon reef tank that has some hard green algae on the glass and I cannot get it off. I have a mag-float, but before I run off to the LFS and buy a new one, should these be replaced every so often? Mine is a little less than a year old right now. While it cleans some green off the glass, I cannot get the hard stuff off. While the hard stuff on the back of the tank is not bothering me, it's the algae that is on the sides and front that is undesirable.

OK, let's say the *new* mag-float is not going to do the trick... I have tried my mag-float by just using the inside half and pressure from my hand inside the tank, (NEW) scrubby sponges, my fingernails, algae scrubbers and a new toothbrush, with no luck and I am at that point I'd really like to pull out a razor blade but knowing that this is not a favorable idea (because I thought you were not suppose to put metal in your tank)....WHAT WORKS?

Tanya

As long as your tank is glass you can use stainless steel scrapers.

I buy some stainless steel razor blades that you can find in just about any shaving products isle of any department or drug store. I also found a plastic blade holder to make it easier and safer (sorry, I can’t recall where I got it).

Archived