SaltCritters.com

ID green stalks

jdiver

Can anyone tell me what the bright green stalks are in this pic? They are sprouting up all over a piece of lr in my dad's tank, ranging in size from 1/8" to 3/8". My guess is they are some type of macro algae, but I've never seen anything like them.

Nishant3789

ive got a couple in my tank too, they are just some sort of macro algea. i tried cutting it down once, but it always grew back and the part that was cut started to grow elsewhere in the tank. i guess u just sorta have to keep trimming it.

nishant

lol...I can offer a little help...very little, in fact, this is pretty stupid of me to say, But that stuff whatever it is the name of it starts with an "N" and thats all I know, I looked it up once and forgot lol =)

At this point, they aren't a nuisance at all and actually look very cool with the fluorescent green color. I might snip a few and see if I can get them to grow in my tank.

its common on caribian rock. The diver buddies of mine call it fuzz grass, but it is far from a taxonomic name. Its quite harmless, but needs a lot of nutrients and light to grow. some crabs will chow it.

Thanks for the reply Dave. It seems to be growing very well in his tank, and I suppose at some point it would become a nuisance, but for now it adds nice little splashes of color.

Nishant3789

yes dave your right it come from the carribian, i saw some myself on the LR when i went diving. but the funny thing for me is that mine cae on fiji live rock....

nishant

Archived