inTank Media Baskets

so how come no one dry ships?

xxbrianxx

Dry shipping's been around for a decent amount of time now...and there have been enough people who have used it with success. So how come everyone still ships with bags of water? Am I missing something?

lol my bad. how come barely anyone dry ship CORAL. coral can survive out of water in a damp environment for a significant amount of time. And it's been proven over and over again that it works. So how come we still rarely see it?

I have never heard of "dry shipping" coral. I would imagine it's much more stressful for the coral if it even survives. I don't see what the advantage of it is? Less weight in the box I guess? That won't influence the price much.

The boxes would still have to be overnighted.

well it's called dry shipping, but technically it's "damp" shipping. Basically you wrap the coral in paper towels or something that retains moisture and use that to ship. First of all there's less weight and second of all, shipping water degrades pretty quickly, dry shipping eliminates that. There's actually been a ton of studies on it....and often times they even have a higher survival rate than traditional shipping methods. At times coral even showed up after shipping delays of 2-3 days and opened pretty quickly after being put in the tank. Wow I'm surprised this isn't more prevalent :huh:

I think one of the stickied shipping threads in this forum uses a hybrid between the two

well it's called dry shipping, but technically it's "damp" shipping. Basically you wrap the coral in paper towels or something that retains moisture and use that to ship. First of all there's less weight and second of all, shipping water degrades pretty quickly, dry shipping eliminates that. There's actually been a ton of studies on it....and often times they even have a higher survival rate than traditional shipping methods. At times coral even showed up after shipping delays of 2-3 days and opened pretty quickly after being put in the tank. Wow I'm surprised this isn't more prevalent :huh:

I think one of the stickied shipping threads in this forum uses a hybrid between the two

Haha. Interesting. Yeah, that's the first time I've heard of it... Though when you explained the damp shipping, that makes much more sense :)

I have no idea on the mortality rates between the two, but the extra water weight does not add much cost as long as the box size is the same. Water degradation is a good point, but intuition would tell me that the coral would be much less stressed in a bag of water than wrapped in damp paper towels.

Like I said though, I have no experience with it.

Haha. Interesting. Yeah, that's the first time I've heard of it... Though when you explained the damp shipping, that makes much more sense :)

I have no idea on the mortality rates between the two, but the extra water weight does not add much cost as long as the box size is the same. Water degradation is a good point, but intuition would tell me that the coral would be much less stressed in a bag of water than wrapped in damp paper towels.

Like I said though, I have no experience with it.

well in larger shipments I think the water weight would definitely be significant. take a look at the link though, it's a pretty interesting read.

link?

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-11/eb/index.php

A similar method is mentioned in the "official how to ship coral" topic.

lol yea it's sort of a mix. That's why I was surprised not many people here have heard about it..

Dry shipped corals don't have the heat capacity of water around them to stave off large temperature swings. I've only ever shipped with water and I've never had a DOA.

Dry shipped corals don't have the heat capacity of water around them to stave off large temperature swings. I've only ever shipped with water and I've never had a DOA.

Yea I guess that's a downside to it. But then again...how much difference is a cup of saltwater going to make? I can't imagine it'd do all that much as a buffer for temp swings.

i dont because the wife always says it hurts too much

Lol...is there a punchline I'm missing? Or are you serious? :o

ive dry shipped... its alright but i dont like to do it... it only saves a couple bucks in weight, and the corals definetly get more stressed. sure theyre not dead but theyre nowhere near as good of shape as the water shipped frags... so unless ur broke but reallly want to get coral to a friend who you know doesnt care about the condition the coral is in when he gets it...

Yea I guess that's a downside to it. But then again...how much difference is a cup of saltwater going to make? I can't imagine it'd do all that much as a buffer for temp swings.

When the coral is dry (mucous coated) it can handle higher temps, "baking in the sun" according to the article. At least that's what I got out of it.

Anyway- reading that article made me a lot more comfortable dipping my freshly shipped corals, finding out how resilient they can be. I know dipping doesn't have much to do with the "dry" topic, but getting all the frags out of the shipping bags and setting them on the counter for a few minutes instead of rushing to keep them in water (or acclimate them to my tank water) was nice. All the frags look nice and happy after all that "abuse"- and pest free!

Archived