ReefCleaners.org

Salinity salt mix

Natural71

Picked up the 225 gal. bucket of Seachem Salinity salt mix. Will mix up 20 gallons and test levels this week and post results for anyone curious. :)

Let me know if yours eventually leaves a thick white residue in your mixing bucket. Mines does that and I'm sure it's fine since I haven't seen adverse effects, however my Tunze Pro-Reef salt mix from before never had this problem.

1fishmonger

I've been hit or miss with my buckets. Some are spot on, some are off (usually low mag). I mix it very slowly and still get the same results either way. Lots of people have had mixed results and I think seachem admitted to production issues as they started giving away bottles of magnesium to supplement the salt mix.

A big factor that most people mixing their own saltwater tend to overlook is the base of the fresh water used with the salt mix. If your RO water has a very high pH then some elements will not readily dissolve. My city supply has a very high pH and unless I reduce it with a buffer I will consistently have residue regardless of the mix. That is if the mix had enough basic seawater elements as advertised. Check the pH of your fresh before you mix.

• 2 months later...

After 2 days mixing at 78f with RO/DI at pH10.

Mg = 1400 ppm

CA = 380-400 ppm

pH = 8.1

Did not measure minor elements once the Ca was found to be low.

Not very happy with this mix. Didn't really resemble the batch specific lab results on the bucket.

My RO/DI pH was probably too high to fully dissolve the Ca.

Still left a funky residue inside 20 gal Brute can even with pump circulating the water 24/7.

Been using it for months. Could not be happier. If you are getting milky residue you are adding water to salt not salt to water. Slowly add the salt let it dissolve so you do not flash the salt. I have used 3 buckets and the test were pretty close to label. But I test my tank about every 6 months lol

Archived