inTank Media Baskets

What are these red spiky things on new LR?

stan

I got a new piece of LR from the LFS. Marshall Island i believe. Anyways it came with these weird spiky red things attached. I dont believe they're corraline algae.

They dont move and are hard to the touch.

Any ideas?

I've seen these things on LR before, and I've never noticed them moving or anything like that. From what I can gather, they seem to be some form of hard sponge, or at least a sponge-type creature, or, they could also be a form of coralline...hard to tell without biological testing, and I haven't the foggiest how to do that. I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Foraminiferans! Believe it or not those are protozoan animals, just big one. They form a hard, red shell. Harmless and pretty sessile filter-feeders, don't need intentional feeding, prefer shaded areas. Those are probably Homotrema rubrum. I've got them on my LR too.

woo hoo, i have them on mine as well and just assumed it was more corraline algae good to know there is a reason i add phytoplankton to feed the live rock :)

Thanks for the info. I knew you guys wouldn't let me down!

You might not be able to make it out from the picture but the one right in the center is four tube-like structures. Interesting.

Archived