ReefCleaners.org

Got my MH up

jmt

ahh... well i posted what i did because a couple weeks ago i read a post that said:

"I forgot to replace my glass top and put the MH hood on the tank. Within 5 minutes, all the SPS, zoo's, ric's shrooms, bascially everything was closed."

except they had left for the day and the tank sat under the unsheltered light all day long.

Yeah! I was pretty amazed at how rapid a response my inhabitants had to the MH.....no joke.....5min! I couldn't imagine what ALL DAY would do to the tank!

After hearing that many people at RC run regular glass, the final thing that convinced me was all the people running regent fixtures. That light is $9.....I looked at the glass shielding and how thin it was, then convinced myself, for $9 I highly doubt that regent uses UV glass.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from using UV glass. If it helps you sleep better, use it! The quote I got for a top for my 5.5 from the local glass shop was $85, with a couple of cuts for return lines. The HD glass was $9, and the HD guy cut it for me.

I sleep fine!

I have to agree with onthefly.

I am using regular old 3/32" glass from Lowes.... $5. No problems whatsoever. It gets a little warm, but other than that no issues. Save your money!!!!!

I am too using the old glass, and I have no problem at all. UV glass was too much for my blood......why spend $85 when I can spend $5....thats $80 for corals.....

Archived