SaltCritters.com

black or white ls

burrito

i just found a new fish store about 20 minutes from my house, its a great store. A reef encounter in hackensack, nj for any locals

anyway. i've only known about the white live sand that comes in 20 and 10lbs bags, i think its caribsea or Nature's Ocean ? i see it at petco alot

well i saw argo-alive black ls today and im thinking of mabye starting the tank with the black? although it didnt look completly black as i moves the back around.

any feedback on either one of them pros/cons. other then just looks?

does the size of the grains matter too much?

thanks.

again sorry for so many questions. i just want to get it all right b4 i add stuff to my nanocube

The sand color is just a personal preference of the reefer. I haven't seen a difference in any of mine, except that I like the black in my pico's. I have never tried the bagged white sand, so I cannot speak for that. My white sand was bought live from the tanks at the store and the grain size is about the same. My black was completely black, so I am not sure if it is the same as you are speaking of either. If you run a quick search, you will see a couple of discussions on the black sand and some nice pics.

Mine is more like 97% whitesand, and 3% black sand, looks like I spilled some carbon in my tank. Not very attractive now that I think about it.

I bought some true, black sand and have been mixing it in with my live sand to get the effect. I don't like the mixed-color bags of live sand...it does look like spilled carbon granules.

reply yea i just went back to the lfs and took a better look at the argo-live its indio-pacific black, well it looks more like normal sand with carbon in it.:( i wanted something more like how acoustics tanks(his is all black)

Archived