Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hitchhiker Anemone?

51t

I just stocked my tank with bali live rock. A couple of hours later this guy pops out. Can someone tell me what this guy is roaming around my tank?

post-67730-1309056774_thumb.jpg

what is not why is right?

Not really sure--doesnt really look like the two most common pest nems (aiptasia and majano) so Id just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesnt cause any trouble if you like it

Can you tell me what type of anemone it is? If I wanted to get rid of it what is the best (humane) way of doing it?

Looking at the tentacles it looks a rock(flower) anemone. Not a pretty color but who cares. Most people buy these guys.

Right now he is on the backside of the rock trying to get into a hole he can't fit in. If he is not harmful I guess I will just let him be.

post-67730-1309066358_thumb.jpg

carbon-mantis

I concur with the rock flower anemone ID, looks very similar to mine. Probably one of the hardiest "nonpest" anemones you can find; eats almost anything. Usually sell for $7.00 - $12.00 each in my area.

Monochrome5
I concur with the rock flower anemone ID, looks very similar to mine. Probably one of the hardiest "nonpest" anemones you can find; eats almost anything. Usually sell for $7.00 - $12.00 each in my area.

I'd agree with a rock nem. They go for $12.99 at my LFS and come in a variety of colors. One of the few anemones in the aquarium trade that does better with lower light, which is why he's trying to get behind a rock/in a hole. Harmless little guy as he'll generally hide out in places corals don't really like.

Its a pymanthus species anemone, specifically a borneman anemone. I have one and my husband has 2 in his tank. They get traded and sold around our aquarium club quiet regularly. They won't harm anything.

Thanks for the ID. It's doing really well. It survived the cycling and I've even fed it. It found a nice place on the backside of the tank but I rearranged the rocks and its now in the front. My goal for the tank is to have a BTA. Hopefully there compatible.

I don't think the baby one is another bornaman. The tentacles look different as does the base. I've never seen one close up like that.

carbon-mantis

Could be a larger pseudocorynactis. Tentacles look a bit too cloudy for me to say for certain it's one though.

hooligan_78

Could be a stressed BTA, or LTA. I can't tell for sure, but the lips look puckered which is usually an indication of being hungry. Try feeding some mysis or brine to it.

Archived