Cultivated Reef

How to pry zoas off plugs?

Zer0

Well, when I get zoas, and basically any coral for that matter, I would like to know how I could separate them from their plugs, and glue directly on to the rock I want them to be on. Zoas usually grow in mats right? So, could I just use an Xacto knife and go to town? Or should I watch out for anything? For the hard corals like SPS, I plan on just using coral cutters and sniping them off at the very bottom, where the frag meets the plug. Should be easy enough.

Thanks everyone!

With sps, if it's freshly mounted, just snap it off the plug and glue to rock where ya want it.

With z's and p's I typically cut the plug apart and glue the z's with the plug chip where I want it.

Consider using gloves when you frag the z's and p's.

I cut the bottom of the plug off and glue the disc with zoas to my rock, that way as they grow and spread off the disc, I can make a very easy frag by just removing the original disc from the matt with zoas on it.

I second the gloves thing with the Z's n P's. I found out the hard way I was allergic to the stuff. The reaction was mild- my hands didn't even turn red or swell... But it did burn enough that I couldn't sleep for a night.

Archived