Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

JbJ Nano Cube light

wuju

Hi all,

This is a question for anyone who owns the JBJ Nano Cube. I've just both on from a store 2 days ago and I'm very happy with the unit but I have a concern if they acutally gave me the Salt Water version or fresh water version. When I was at the store, the one they had on display was salt water reef and I've noticed that the light bulb that they have has one white and one blue in color. The one I have are both white. My brother said that the bule one simulate Sunlight so it is important to have for salt water marine. So does that mean they gave me the wrong one or there are white colour tub light that is the same as the blue one which also simulate Sunlight. What does one need to look for to make sure aside from the color of the light tube to determine if the light tube is for Salt water. If it is a mistake, is it simply a light bulb exchange or the entire hood needs to be changed too because the current voltage requirements are differnet between fresh & salt water hood for the Nano cube.

Thanks for all help on this mater.

DitchPlains

I cannot answer the voltage question, but if you think its the wrong one return it, I think you may have gotten an older model....Mine came with the 50/50 bulb half 10k white and half 6500k Actinic.. You can always just upgrade th bulb or add a CSL retorfit if you like the tanke besides the fact. The Actinic light or blue light helps photosynthesis and coraline alage growth....take care:unsure: :ermm:

They make 2 models of the nanocube, a saltwater, with a 50/50 bulb, which is the one you saw in the store, and a freshwater, with a 6500K bulb, which is the one you have. Now, the differences in these two bulbs is not going to determine what you can and can't have in your tank. It is perfectly fine to have a healthy saltwater reef under just white light. People just tend to like the look of both blue (actinic) and white lights together, so they combine the two. Also, blue light penetrates to a deeper depth in the ocean, so blue wavelengths are beneficial to deeper water corals. You probably will not notice any accellerated growth of most common corals under actinic lighting, they just look better, and some fluoresce. So, if you want the 50/50 bulb, take the tank back and exchange it. If it is too late, just buy a 24watt 50/50 bulb and replace it. Again, this is not necessary, but can be easily done. They are both 24 watts and either one will work in your hood. There are no other differences between the fresh and saltwater models, the bulb is the sole difference

Archived