Cultivated Reef

shy cleaner shrimp? nocturnal?

mxpro32

my girlfriends cleaner only comes out at night. all day it will hide behind the rocks and as soon as you turn off the light hes mister busy body swimming all around the tank and cleaning things up. my cleaner shrimp is not shy at all and neither is any of the others ive seen. what gives? he is fun to watch when the lights are out but it would be nice to see him during the day.

How long have you had the shrimp?

When I first got mine she would hide behind a rock all day and come out when the lights went off.

However now she comes out all the time.

They slowly get used to the idea of coming out during the light on hours.

What you can do is to feed the shrimp during the light hours, so it will get used to coming out at that time.

I think just needs time.

Or it could just be a vampire shrimp. :P

J/k.

I agree with Sahin, feed the tank during light hours and I bet that the Shrimp will come running day or night. Our Cleaner Shrimp is very greedy and likes to hijack flake food from the corals. Yesterday during the water change I did on the tank, our Candy Coral extended because of lack of light, so I fed the 3 polyps a small flake each. Well I ended up having to give the Shrimp a flake as well because it was standing over the Candy Coral trying to get the flake out of a Candy polyp! I have now officially hand fed our Shrimp flake food. Who Knew? Try food!

Gil

it jsut take time for them to get use to you and your tank..like the other two said...try to feed them int he day time with flakes or frozen food..they will slowly come out..and eventually you would wish they would go back and hiding..hahha...

BustytheSnowMaam

I had a tank-raised cleaner and it was always friendly- maybe it's a difference between tank-raised and wild-caught (???). Just a guess. But the food ideas above sound like good ones too.

Tasha

thanks for the suggestions. weve been feeding him during the day so hopefully with time his/her personality will shine.

Archived