Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clams??

mysk

I have a 20 gallon  high AGA and was thinking of getting clams. I cant find a clear answer but IYO how much lighting do they need.  Im running 2 64W PC 1 atenic 1 10000k is this good enough?

wulffenstein

I have a regular 20 gal with 2 55w 50/50 lights.  I have a ultra blue maxima.  I have had him for about a month now and seems to be doing great.  

I also feed with DT's.  I think this is essential especially with small clams as you will have in a nano.

I would also have a plan on what to do with them after they are too big for the tank.  

Just my opinion.  Others on this board will advise against any clams.

small clams depend on filter feeding for their nutrients. as the clam get bigger it will use the lighting as a food source. so the clam might be doing good now, but in the long run, i really doubt it would.

jay2k2: i might be selling my 2 36W PC retro kit from ahsupply which is also a 2 55W PC kit. but i wont be selling it until Aug, possible late Aug when i have my 29 gal tank set up. want me to keep you posted?

It depends on the clam.  I wouldn't keep a maxima under pcs at all.  Some clams, squamosas for instance, are deep water species and could be perfectly happy under your lighting.

agree, with your current lighting a squamosa would do fine, they require the least amount of light and under your pc lights he would be happy,all the others especially maximas are not a good idea,and as the other members said the small clams feed on plankton,as the larger ones live mostly on light.i have a squamosa in my 10 gal under 2 36 w pc bulbs and is very happy,and he love's his DT's as well.also they dont like a lot of current and could make him retract his mantle,mine has actually colred up a lot since i brought him home from the LFS............................

Archived