Coral Vue Hydros

D-D H2Ocean salt concern

Thrassian Atoll

Thrassian Atoll

I switched to D-D H2Ocean about 3 weeks ago from RSCP. The red sea mixed nice and clear for me and basically looked like pure RO/DI water. Every time I mix up H2Ocean though, It leaves so much brown residue in the bucket. I have been searching and reading that it will sometimes leave a sandy looking setiment at the bottom of the mixing bucket, but half of my bucket turns a nasty brown. Also, my pump and heater turn almost completely brown everytime. I mix it for 2 or 3 days normally. After its all mixed, its clear, but has a darker hue to it and by no means looks like RO/DI water, the way RSCP did. I have also noticed a tiny patch of cyano forming in my tank after switching to this salt, but I have not tested for phosphates in the tank or in the newly mixed SW. I have heard of some batches being bad and having high phosphates though.

Do you think I have a bad batch?

I know i have some leftover sediment or whatever that residue is after it mixes for two days. i also get some brown spots around the seam of the bucket. I've been using it for a while and I never got cyano, but i did get mine about a year ago. fwiw i have a new bucket of RSCP waiting for the H2Ocean to run out. Nothing mixes better(for me) than RSCP. H2Ocean has never let my tanks down and the parameters are what they advertise, but for the price it should mix better.

I'd say test for phosphates in the newly mixed water before declaring it a bad batch, it could just be something in your tank.

Thrassian Atoll
I know i have some leftover sediment or whatever that residue is after it mixes for two days. i also get some brown spots around the seam of the bucket. I've been using it for a while and I never got cyano, but i did get mine about a year ago. fwiw i have a new bucket of RSCP waiting for the H2Ocean to run out. Nothing mixes better(for me) than RSCP. H2Ocean has never let my tanks down and the parameters are what they advertise, but for the price it should mix better.

I'd say test for phosphates in the newly mixed water before declaring it a bad batch, it could just be something in your tank.

Alright, Thanks. I am going to test the tank tonight. I just did a water change yesterday and forgot to test. I just hear about it leaving small amounts of residue, but this is a lot and the pump and heater turning brown? Seems a little much. Yeah, I never had a problem with RSCP, but I switched to this hearing that it was even better...

Thrassian Atoll

I did not know that you were suppose to mix the sand up in the container after you open. Maybe that might help

Archived