Top Shelf Aquatics

little slugs/worms on mushrooms??

rustyreef

hi I just picked up a few mushrooms at my lfs for my 5.5, and when i was acclimating them i noticed a few small (1/4"), greyish, flat slugs/or worms. each shroom had about 3 crawling on it and they quickly got off the shrooms once in the tank... so i cant really do anything about them anymore but does anybody know what they might b?? and r the harmful??

thanks - rusty

I have one strange bug with my LR.

It is about 1 inch, brownish, little fat, also has 4 or 5 small spiky things along with the spine(?) line. It crowls very slowly, don't looks like it can swim.

I searched internet, still can't identify. It could be either small snail, worm or sea cucumber. I hope it is sea cucumber though. I don't think it can make through the harsh cycling. Poor thing.

AReeferIsExpensive

Rusty- prob want to do some research and find out asap. I had a prob like this and thought they were pods or something and then ended up with flatworms....

Sea-there are a million and one things in the marine world that are "brownish, fat, spikey, and crawls on rocks".

research some identification pages or get a pic or else you prob arent gonna find out much...g/l

At my old reef store, we did have the same problem before...flatworms. Copper will kill them, but, being a reef tank, that would be a serious no-no. I've heard several people say that Mandarins will eat flatworms, but I'll be damned if I've ever seen one so much as glance at a flatworm...

We ended up solving the problem by giving our corals quick freshwater dips. We suffered no coral losses, and the flatworm problem dried up fairly quickly....

"But Mr. Professor, what about the worms in the substrate???"

"Shut up, Johnny."

While we realized that there could indeed be flatworms in or on the substrate, I hadn't seen any on anything other than our mushrooms. If they seem to be confined to that one rock of mushrooms, you can also just pick them off with a tweezer. Any which way you cut it, if you don't do something quick, you're going to have a real problem fairly soon.

Oh, and maybe this will help illustrate some of the dangers of shopping for corals at an LFS.

Archived