Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pearls of the Antilles...

lljdma06

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
So how is it going? I've been moving my rock anemones to my new tank and thought about you.

Haha, I've YET to move the neon goby pair out of quarantine, but I will this week. Tank is ok. I've been lazy with the water changes, but the macros and grasses are fine. I have algae on the glass though, so I think I need a stronger CUC... so I may make an order with reef cleaners.

My rock anemones are still stunning. I love them. Great addition. My Lfs almost sold me a red apogon species, but I decided against it. IMO, it just looks too large. I think I may stay with very small fish. So the neon gobies will be a good fit. I'd love some sailfin blennies too. Keep things small and peaceful. He also had a delightful little burrowing goby. He keeps wanting to sell me damsels too. I'm like NO! Not with my wolf pack running around. It's not that bad. The chalk bass are just mean to themselves really. And not really even mean, just active. Jawfish is getting much better with their activity and is coming out a lot more now.

All four chalk bass are still going strong, though one still has chronic pop eye. It comes and goes. He heals and then he knocks his eye against something again (he isn't very bright) and then he gets a more mild case of pop eye. Then it goes away. I think he'll eventually lose the eye, but he's still actively swimming and eating well.

I actually added an emerald crab. I needed too. I don't mind the idea of controlling some of the macro a bit, and he's doing some great work with the dictoya that's was over grown.

After May, I'll be assessing where I want to go with this tank.

L

i understand the "reassesment". I've had macro dominant tanks and find them not as interesting, Snorkeling in the Keys grassbeds for astrea's, there isn't much other than some big sponges, Mancinia, and branching Porites besides the seagrass isn't diverse enough for me. Maybe a "display grade" refugium with the grass and a few other things? Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide!

i understand the "reassesment". I've had macro dominant tanks and find them not as interesting, Snorkeling in the Keys grassbeds for astrea's, there isn't much other than some big sponges, Mancinia, and branching Porites besides the seagrass isn't diverse enough for me. Maybe a "display grade" refugium with the grass and a few other things? Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide!

yeah, lolol. I'll see where I go. I have to replace the halide bulb anyway.

For both my tanks.

L

• 2 months later...

Well, it seems reassessment was forced on me, yardboy. In a most violent way.

image.jpg

This tank experienced a macro bomb. My first, and boy while I've read about algae going sexual and I pruned and had surface agitation, nothing prepared me for this. Since I pulled loads of healthy, strong caulerpa and very little Halimeda from the nuked tank, my guess is that the Halimeda went sexual and not the Caulerpa, which is more typical. I was off performing a Madama Butterfly, came home one afternoon about 4 weeks ago and found this tank destroyed. With the exception of a few ceriths, my babylon snail and this...

image1.jpg

I found this paly completely closed, but I knew it wasn't dead, so very quickly put it in quarantine with my black ocellaris who was recovering from ich he got from the lfs. No way I was gonna risk putting a very stressed palythoa into any of my other display tanks and I figured if anybody can handle a stressed paly... No acclimating, nothing.

Here he is after a few weeks. Amazing how life endures. One tough paly.

df771574.jpg

I did some damage control and actually the rock and sand are still very much alive. It is the end of the biotope, though. Here's what it looks like now...

8cb79d2c.jpg

Clean and happy again and feeding a very hungry CUC. I won't feature macro in this scape, except for a refugium with chaeto. I still have macro growing in the tank though, I think it'll be impossible to completely remove.

The biotope was a wonderful learning experience. I'd love to do this again, but on a much larger scale, 100g+ I don't blame myself, no way you can do anything if you're not home and it's not like I didn't prune. My guess, is that a power head clogged in my absence and then I lost the surface agitation, which could then not support a macro bomb. Shame the tank ended like this, but sometimes, disasters happen in the wild too.

Thanks for reading and supporting this journal. :) I'll post the new thread in the member's section. I'll continue to follow the biotopes I see here. :)

L

Amphiprion1

Wow, that was a dramatic difference... I'm very sorry to hear about the losses. I can't see any seagrass, but it should've survived pretty easily (stuff is crazy tough in the weirdest ways). I do hope you continue to feature it. Even if you decide on a reef or the like, it would look quite good. Regardless, I'm sure it will turn out just as nicely or even better. I've always been a fan of this system and the look you created.

Wow, that was a dramatic difference... I'm very sorry to hear about the losses. I can't see any seagrass, but it should've survived pretty easily (stuff is crazy tough in the weirdest ways). I do hope you continue to feature it. Even if you decide on a reef or the like, it would look quite good. Regardless, I'm sure it will turn out just as nicely or even better. I've always been a fan of this system and the look you created.

Some seagrass did survive, but it never thrived in the tank. My jawfish saw to that. He kept uprooting it. Also, other things were eating it.

Not sure about the look I want to create. Different from this one, that's for sure, though I still want a jawfish. :)

L

I just came across your thread for the first time and saw how nice your tank looked. What a loss...

I saw you mentioned a skimmer in your first post, but did you actually have one running when the sexual event occured?

I've had caulerpa go sexual several times in my tank, but I just ignore it and don't even change the water. I think my skimmer keeps the oxygen levels up and my corals didn't even get seem to mind. Maybe halimeda is different or you just had much more go bad than I have.

I just came across your thread for the first time and saw how nice your tank looked. What a loss...

I saw you mentioned a skimmer in your first post, but did you actually have one running when the sexual event occured?

I've had caulerpa go sexual several times in my tank, but I just ignore it and don't even change the water. I think my skimmer keeps the oxygen levels up and my corals didn't even get seem to mind. Maybe halimeda is different or you just had much more go bad than I have.

I never ran a skimmer in this tank. I had purchased one and then researched that I wouldn't need it. I, instead, had a powerhead causing heavy surface agitation (like breaking water heavy, not just ripples) I've gone through mild sexual episodes before without a problem. What happened was that that power head had clogged, it wasn't working when I arrived. Once that happens and the film characterizing a sexual event is allowed to appear, and I wasn't there to stop it. It must have happened in the night after lights went out, because my family fed the fish and did the tank maintenance like normal and everything was fine.

The dilemma of a skimmer is the removal of everything. Macro and plants need the nutrient rich water and when I was given the idea of the power head, I opted for that. I may choose to run a skimmer with a planted marine next time, or have a back up power head when one fails.

Honestly, if I had been there, this wouldn't have happened. I'm more careful, I would've seen the power head not working and fixed it or replaced it. It stinks being an opera singer sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

Awe bananas! Sorry to hear about the nuking. This was an amazing tank. Post a link when you add it to the member's section. What new direction will you be taking it in?

Awe bananas! Sorry to hear about the nuking. This was an amazing tank. Post a link when you add it to the member's section. What new direction will you be taking it in?

Yeah, it was a bummer. I can't NOT sing or perform though. It's my job.

Some things will stay the same. I have a pair of pearly jawfish on hold. LOL

Things that are different...

Increased flow, about 60x turnover

And incidents in my 5.5g forced me to put my nps in there.

The Halide begs for high light corals and the flow will eventually say sps, once the tank matures again.

L

Archived