Coral Vue Hydros

AGA 5.5 gravity fuge

MGXsport

Well I think this crazy idea may work.

I just bought a 5.5gal AGA aquarium and almost have a hole drilled out of it but my battery ran out on my dremel X) I think it may work. The return hole is about 3 inchs higher on the fuge side but it has to travel about 1 foot 4 inches to the tank so not much of a gravity slope. I am going to use a aquaclear powerhead 101 to get the flow up to the tank.

Wish me luck! :)

Here is a pic of it's test hieght set-up:

testfitfuge.jpg

theclearblue

Careful when you set it up, as the powerhead might drive water faster than it can be returned. What size bulkhead/tubing for the return are you using?

Also, might want to consider throwing a shade on that window, any algae problems right now? haha jk

My window is north facing and in the Seattle suburbs we don't get much sun haha.

The tubing is 5/8 both ways but I can adjust the flow on the PH and it only goes up to about 80gph full open. I could always drill for a larger tube later.

well damn I guess there is a reason why they charge $80+ for some fuges :(

Didn't work out as planned. The slope just wasn't enough and I couldn't go any higher. Guess I'll have to buy a fuge now sometime.

theclearblue

Just curious if you could relate your experiences with drilling the hole in the 5.5.

Did you use the directions on RC?

What bits did you use?

How long did it take?

What did you use to trace the hole to drill?

Sorry for all the question, I'm just thinking of doing this.

I marked the hole with an extra pvc fitting dabbed in ink and then pressed it to the glass like a rubber stamp.

I then used a dremel to drill the hole and then the high speed glass cutter to finish it out.

Then took the pvc and screwed one fitting on the outside and then screwed the other on the inside then siliconed up the outside of the tank.

The 80 gph powerhead was also pretty week and could only manage a trickle into the fuge.

Just if the powerhead was a tad bit more powerful and the slope was a bit more steeper. :)

oh well only 20 bucks spent in the experiment.

Archived