Coral Vue Hydros

never house sand sifting snails with nassarius snails!!!!!!

nano-nemo

bought a sand sifting snail to help the sand sifting star churn up our sand bed and, while we were watching last night, the sand sifting snail came up from under the sand, chased a little nassarius and ate the thing in .02 seconds :*( please pass the word along, as i was told the sand sifters were detritus eaters, not carnivores

read the title, then read the post slowly... it took me a couple times as well :D

Originally posted by Reefer_Buddha

Do you mean that the sifting star ate the snail ? I cant make heads or tails of your post.

sorry, should have just left the sand sifting star out of the whole post.

the SAND SIFTING SNAIL ate my NASSARIUS SNAIL alive.

Are you talking about a larger conch? Never heard of a sand sifting snail. Some of the larger conches are predatory.......

onthefly, i wish i knew, it was sold as a sand sifting snail, no species name. im going to call the pet store today to find out more info, but, judging that it has a snorkel (probascus?) it seems that you may be right, but i have no clue.

if it helps any, the snail itself resembles a nassarius snail only about 10 times larger and the shell is long and tube shaped, and shiney-smooth

well, just found this pic, and aside from coloring this is what the shell looks like Conus textile. i read up on it and now i am ####ed:

Conus textile Linnaeus 1758, the Textile Cone. Indo-Pacific; Red Sea, much of the rest of the tropical Indo-Pac. Feeds on other prosobranch snails. Can be fatal to humans. Red Sea image.

im not listening to any thing the fat guy at my lfs has to say any more, he said it was a peaceful detritus eater, and would go great with other inverts. shows what he knows about the animals he orders.

opps, here is the pic, by the way, i have yet to see the probascus, all i have seen is the top tube, the one it uses to breathe when under the sand. like i said in the previous post, the only difference is coloring

take it back, not too long ago they sold me a conch and instead i came to find out that it was a tulip, they will eat your snails, mine ate 2 before i took it back, get some ceriths and nass for your sand and you'll be fine

Archived