Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

eclipse 12 bow acryllic with coralife 96 quad?

artooman

Hi,

I just recently set up an eclipse 12 acryllic bow front tank, and I am looking into future lighting options. For now, I just have the stock lighting which will need to go eventually. I have read other posts on the forum from people using a coralife 96 quad lighting for retrofitting an eclipse 12. Does this work with both the 12 gallon acryllic and the 12 gallon glass models? The acryllic model has a non-retangular shape that does not seem to be amenable to 18 inch light fixtures. I am assuming that the glass version is rectangular and thus easier to retrofit.

Anybody using this lighting with the eclipse 12 bowfront?

i know that it has been done, but i don't remember who did it, or which thread it was discussed in. if it fits, it will be a tight fit. i too have the eclipse12 bowfront, but i used the 2x32watt retro kit in mine because i wasn't sure if the 96w quad would fit. maybe one of the people who did it will chime in with their experiences...

Thanks for info, jaguilar. You have been very helpful. It seems that the 2x32 supernova retrofit kit is the best option at the moment. If anyone has had luck with the powerquad, please let us know. :)

Just my luck... CustomSeaLife is out of business... Now what can the 12 gallon bowfront tank owners get to replace the 2x32 retrofit kit?

championlighting still carries all the csl products, and will still validate all warranties on these products, as long as they are purchased from them.

http://www.championlighting.com/e/env/0001...em=main:pc15232

i really like the 2x32watt retro, and another benefit that you get with this retro that you can't get with the 96w quad is the fact that it has independent controls for both the 10,000k(daylight) and the actinic bulb. imo the dawn and dusk thing is really cool. an all blue tank looks very nice. i got my retro from championlighting, and was very satisfied with the product and the service. and you don't have to worry about not being able to find replacement bulbs, because they will continue to carry them

even though csl is out of business. check it out. good luck.. .j.

gabbeyshell

i have a corallife 96powerquad--remove the hood and put the brackets on for legs and whala-- i love mine, though it loses about 1/4 of gal a day depending on the lighting cycle. if you are addicted to carbon a hob will fit in back left side.

Thanks again everyone for you help. I have decided to order the CSL 15" 2x32W as per your suggestions. If the dimensions are absoutely fixed at 14x6.25x2, then it seems like there might be issues with the stock filters. From the picture, it sure looks like I can just reform the reflector a bit to make room. If possible, I would like to keep the eclipse hood and filters.

Anyway, I ordered from champion lighting (see jaguilar's link). They are currently out-of-stock, but will be getting more. Apparantly, a spinoff brand from some ex-CSL employees called "Current" will be taking over the CSL line. Cool!

artooman, glad to hear you ordered the 2x32. you will not be disappointed in your purchase. but you will run into problems if you try to keep the stock filter. those things(filter) take up a lot of space, and not only that, they block light to the back 1/3 of the tank. i ditched mine and replaced it with an aquaclear200. you don't have to ditch the hood, but if you decide to use an aquaclear or similar hob, you will have to cut a small slot out of the back panel of the hood. very easy to do with a dremel. you could try to bend the reflector to fit with the stock filter, but it won't be easy. those things are a lot more rigid than they look. and if you do get the light to fit with that filter, you will have to lift the whole hood to feed or dose the tank. you'll be able to figure out what works best for you, i'm just telling you from my own experiences. good luck.

Archived