Coral Vue Hydros

Plans for my fuge

Zer0

Alright, So i've decided against chaeto, because it just floats and annoys me, and sheds and gets everywhere. What I really want is macro that sucks up a lot of excess nutrients, but also grows LIKE a plant. You know, attaches to rocks and makes like a forest of macro. I want to do grape caulerpa, but I'm aware I run the risk of it going sexual in my tank. What's the fool proof way to make sure that crap doesn't go sexual? Also, are there any other types of caulerpa that wont go super sexual? Anyways, I'm trying to make this look decent, and easy for me to trim down once it gets thicker. With the chaeto.. it's just one large ball of headaches.

Thanks macro experts!

I was thinking Ulva was another type I could go with?

wetpets@home

I'm sorry I don't have an answer but I'm interestedin what the experienced ones might have to say.

Every bit of macro algae I've put in gets eaten. I figure if they eat it they must need it but since I don't have a sump to grow it in I'm at aloss as to how to grow it.

I've been thinking of sectioning off somewhere that nothing can get into. Like a glass house in the garden, and when I've got enough putting bits out like feeding time?

Sounds pretty good actually. Never seen it done before like that, but I believe someone on here had chaeto sectioned off in a little clear plastic container on the side of their tank. Worked pretty well apparently. Maybe you can find one of those breeder dividers.

i used one of those little fish breeder things a couple of years ago in my tank for a while. just make sure you stick to chaeto so other stuff doesn't go asexual on you.

053-1.jpg

Magiksurfman
i used one of those little fish breeder things a couple of years ago in my tank for a while053-1.jpg

this is the way i currently float cheato in my display fuge.

sounds like you want something like caulerpa prolifera, i personally like the way it looks and how fast it grows to use for nutrient export but i hate how caulerpa roots itself to everything (i move the lr around alot in my tanks sometimes to attach frags sometimes to quarantine a rock like for aptaisia) so i dont use it. cheato gets tangled into everything but doesn't root itself and cheato is the only macro that i own that over doubles its size in a week. The only time i have had cheato fall apart on me is when i dont have strong enough lighting on it.

Sorry dont have personal experience with macro going asexuall but so long as you can keep your water perams stable and constant i dont think youd have much to worry about.

For ulva i keep it but i cant get it to grow not even at a quarter of the rate i can grow cheato so for nutrient export i wouldn't use it . i mainly keep it to give my tangs a break from pellets and dried seaweed.

Archived