Pod Your Reef

Filtration Question

CKC

Hi All, New to the forum..

Ive had a few larger salt tanks before, this is my first swing at a nano.

I just started a 10 gallon, 20 lbs of crushed coral substrate, and 11.5 lbs of live rock to cycle. 10% water changes will be done on a weekly basis.

my question is, Ive got just a powerhead (170 gph)in there right now, because I know for a fact ive seen that before.

but will that be enough for filtration?

Ive got a hang on back filter kicking around here that I could throw on there, but dont want to leech the tank of its natural nutriants, and have to constantly dose the tank with additives.

if it makes any difference on livestock, im thinking ill put 3-4 snails in, a pepermint shrimp or two, percula clown, and possibly a gobie, along with whatever coral/pylop goodies...

thanks in advance.

christian

Your major filteration at your tank is Live rock.

Powerhead or HOB filter serves as circulation device.

That's why poeple don't use media with their HOB filters.

170 gph PH is OK for 10g. I would suggest one more small PH for more water circulation, since you will have less chance of getting dead spots when you have two PH.

You may want to consider start adding additives after you're done with your cycling.

I'd use the HOB if you already have it. Not only are they good for circulation, but there are many cases where you might want to add some sort of media (phosphate/silicate absorbant, carbon, etc). Worst case scenario, you get the added circulation and can use it as a mini 'fuge.

d.

I agree. Keep the HOB, take the media out unless you want to run carbon periodically. If anything, they work well in keeping the surface moving. I have an AC300 on my 10 that I converted to a fuge but also left a small space to put in a carbon bag occassionally.

One thing though, you are losing a bit of filtration by using cc instead of sand. Cc has a tendency to trap the detritus instead of filtering it like sand does. If you want to keep it, you will need to vacuum it.

Archived