Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Coralife screw-ins for 10g

LeeBMeMc

Hi guys...

I came across this site here on the net... this is my first post.... so, HELLO!! :)

My question is how much lighting would i need in a standard 10g for a reef setup?... I was thinking of buying an all-glass top and making my own bulb-enclosure from some stainless steel sheet metal... and using about 3 of these 20W Coralife screw in 50/50's. I have had freshies for a long time... very new to the whole saltwater scene. From what I know, nano's like a lot of light... and I figure for the price and for ease of making my own hood I could use these screw-ins since I dont have to buy a ballast.... course I'd get a computer fan to pull fresh air through the hood too. SOOO... are these bulbs ok for a reef setup? Is a total of 60W of 50/50 going to be enough or too much for my 10g? Would I be better with less wattage or more (say a 4th 20W bulb?)..... I really love the inverts, especially anemonies, so I want to make sure they have the correct lighting supplied to them.... so let me know what you all think.

Thanks,

Lee

theclearblue

If you plan to get that lighting, you are way under the requirements for an anemone. For it to be healthy you really should go metal halide, but based on your budgeting it might be better to skip on the anemone altogether. To give you an an idea, you're pushing the limit of too much light when you get around 250w with a tank that size.

My advice: You're already spending $90 to buy those coralife 20w 50/50's, computer fan, and materials for the hood. Why not get the coralife 96w powerquad for the same price? Or, spend the extra $10 to buy a CSL (or Current USA) 2x40w.

I know it seems hard to imagine, but you will be wanting more light once you have some coral in the tank and you know you can't keep any SPS. So check out the thread in the DIY forum and make a 70 watt metal halide fixture. You'll be glad you did in four months or so.

daFrimpster

theclearblue speaks the truth! I did as you plan and built my own hood and added 2 of the 20watt coralife bulbs. It looked pretty good and would be ok for shroom and a few other low light corals. But I found a 20" CSL 2x40w moonlite on ebay for 85 bucks plus shipping! total was about 101.00. It is much much better than my home built setup which cost me about 60 bucks all in all. It was fun to build though :) IF you wanna build your hood and save a few bucks, I won't call ya crazy. But you would prolly be ahead to gon and spend a few mre and get the better light setup. Lighting is definitely not a good area to cut corners. IMHO

Whatever you decide to do, have fun. :)

:) Thanks for the info... so what I gather here is that you need a TON of light for the anemones, probably more than most people could give. So if you can have up to 250 watts to a standard 10 gallon... could somebody potentially want/need TWO of the 96w coralife's?? I already have the fan and the stainless steel... as well as all the wiring and sockets I need for up to 10 screw-ins (stuff I keep arround the house). I found the 20W screw-ins for $13 on the net somewhere (gotta find them again, lol)... so it'd be easier for me just to make my hood with the 20w screw-ins. Second to anemones I love the polyps and softies and such little creatures like that.... what kind of wattage will I need to keep them allong with some shrooms and such things healthy? What I am trying to glean from you all is the wattage range I need to shoot for here... below a cirtian definable limit I will go with the screw-ins, above it I will go with the 96w quad(s). So, bottom line question, what is the ideal wattage I need for MOST things to thrive in my 10g?

Lee

theclearblue

Definitely a better price. Anemones are certainly possible to keep in nano sized tanks, but Metal Halide lighting really is necessary for them to do well. It would look a little funny putting two 96w powerquads over a 10 gallon, you'd have to modify a hood to be able to fit them. If you're going to spend that type of money, go metal halide. But as you've already got all the materials minus the bulbs, it may be your best short term option, as well as keeping you from going in over your head with your first corals.

Just make sure to research your purchases, don't pick up something you see without knowing exactly what it is, you may not have the lighting and/or knowledge to care for it.

Yeah... that is the best price so far, especially for the 20w versions.... I could get a full set of 10 bulbs for 100 dollars and have 200 watts of light!! So should I get 5 of them (100w 50/50)?.... 8 (160w 50/50).... 10 (200w 50/50).... more????? How much is enough? I think those are by FAR the most economical and easy way to go... now its just a matter of how many.

daFrimpster

I used 2 and I didn't think it was enough. I would think 4 or 5 would be plenty. Much more than that and Heat might become an issue.

Two 96w powerquad will not fit over the 10gallon without overlapping.

I read over and over again...ppl wish they would have just gotten metal halides in the beginning. I am doing a lot of light research myself and find halides allow you to keep anything.

A halide setup will probably cost you 200, but that is 200 well spent.

check out www.hellolights.com or www.petsupplyliquidator.com

Oh yeah...will you be running reflectors with your 20w light? You lose a lot of light w/o reflectors.

Oh yes.... I'll line the hood clear through with aluminum foil... its my fav. light reflecting material in my freshwater tanks (and yes I will sheild it from the salt water).... its nice because it can be shaped arround bulbs and obstuctions to focus light in particular areas or evenly spread light across the tank, and its cheap as dirt, and amply reflective.

So you think about 5 of the 20w 50/50's (100w total)?... I really could do up to 10 of them on my budget (and I measured... 10 would fit in the hood I'm building)... you sure I shouldn't get more than 5? I dont want to spend money on MH lighting... I am in college (grunt)... 'nuf said?

Can the people that bought the 20 watt bulbs tell me the exact length, Im making a 5.5 AGA with 2 of them going horizontal and I need to make sure there is room for the sockets and room to unscrew them when they are changed?

DitchPlains

I was just reading most of ths posts, and I just added 32 more watts of CSL to my NANO CUBE, totally 56 watts, and I still can't keep SPS or and Anenmone. Montipora yes, but no Acro. So it definately pays to get the best lighting you can, lights and your tank are probably the two biggest expenses. MH is the way to go period, if I knew then what I know now. I would have bought a 20 gallon AGA, with no hood and hung a Ushio MH over it. Thats just my opinion, the one good thing I can say about this hobby is, even if you don't do it right the first time, you always learn, and can keep an older tank and just keep adding more tanks as you go. I plan on having one in every room in my house. Eventually having a 180 gallon room dividing tank. Thats years and years and a lotto away ....LOL :ermm:

ok you have 56 on a 12 gal, im going end up having 60 on a 5.5 (the 20s im getting mailed to me, and 2 10 watt ones i already had from petco), now the ration to water and light is over twice what you have, I know its not about ratios and MH are the BEST was to go but for me this is best for my budget. If I did end up wanted SPS I would only have 1, 2 max and they would be an inch or two away from the top. The itself tank is probably my cheapest :), only $9.99 at petco.

DitchPlains

Thats a lot of light for such a little tank, well your SPS and LPS will love it I'm sure. Mine are enjoying my new lights, they have all opened up more and longer and look great. Only bad aspect is I can't keep my Torch from stinging my Toadstool, its too close and has grown out of control....I dont think I can do much about it.

Why not go to a Wal-Mart type store and buy two 24w 6500k (Daylight) screw ins, and get two 20w Acintic Coralife screw-ins. That'd be enough light to sustain an anemone and various sofites and would cost around $40 in bulbs.

-Justin

To my knowledge, you cannot buy actinic screw-ins.... only ones coralife makes are the 10w and 20w 50/50 and the regular daylight bulb, also in 10 and 20w versions.... Less someone else knows otherwise? From what I have gleaned from everyone is that I will be purchasing 6 of the 20w 50/50 screw-ins.... ought to be pleanty of light for most anything I'd want.

Archived